Fresh food ideas and recipe

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
ciaraalston

Fresh food ideas and recipe

Post by ciaraalston » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:35 am

What do y'all feed fresh food wise? I have plenty of dried powder mixes, some moss, and I keep frozen raspberries I give randomly. What else do y'all feed?
If it's frozen, do y'all thaw first or feed frozen?
If it's meat, do you cook or serve raw?
They need variety, so how often do y'all serve the same food?
If y'all have some recipes or any ideas I'd love to hear!!
I've read some older recipe posts, just seeing if there's some new ones as well or any old ones I haven't seen

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

piratetoothgir

Re: Fresh food ideas and recipe

Post by piratetoothgir » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:51 am

ciaraalston wrote:What do y'all feed fresh food wise? I have plenty of dried powder mixes, some moss, and I keep frozen raspberries I give randomly. What else do y'all feed?
I've read some older recipe posts, just seeing if there's some new ones as well or any old ones I haven't seen

I offer a variety of fruits, vegetables, meats, nuts, and calcium.
It’s very important to me to try something new with them, it’s my priority to find new and interesting foods for a healthy diet. I thaw everything first before feeding it, when it’s frozen. I don’t give the sane food twice in two weeks, unless it’s a big favorite.

I serve all meat raw, and I have tried salmon, pork, chicken, and turkey. I feed raw meat five times a week. There are some cool recipes that I will recommend!

CFC, Crabby Fried Chicken

Raw Chicken Meat (I always use thighs)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Organic Oatmeal

Slice off a small piece of chicken thigh, and dip it into the olive oil.
Cover the entire chicken serving in crushed oatmeal, and lay aside.
Prepare a skillet seared with a bit of olive oil, and heat up.
Place chicken on skillet and cook for one minute per side.
Serve.

My crabs absolutely adored the chicken! It’s very healthy since it’s not real fried chicken with bad hydrogenated oils and fats. There’s one last recipe I can give you, it’s a dry salad.

Crushed Dried Beets
Popcorn
Alfalfa
Chamomile Flowers
Dried Raspberries
Dried Blueberries
Himalayan Pink Salt

They also liked this, especially one of my E’s. I hope you find this works for you too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:15 am

I always serve meats either cooked or dried. Hermit crabs can handle raw but cooked is more sanitary.

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:44 pm

I don't cook meats for them. I just make sure to wash my hands after handling raw meat or anything in the crab tank. Their systems were designed to break down raw, decaying organisms so raw meat isn't going to harm them. No one is grilling up their fish in the wild.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:59 am

So, i know their fruits and veggies must be organic, but what about the meat? I buy the off brand chicken from Wal- mart, and i haven't fed them any because i wasn't sure if i needed any special brand or type. Where do yall get your ingredients?
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:26 am

Things don't have to be organic, but in the long run it is probably safer given how long-lived hermits are.

When it comes to meat, the less additives the better. It doesn't have to be organic or grass fed or whatever, but watch for anything that has preservatives or is in a brine solution. A LOT of packaged meat has these.

Honestly, I have always stuck with freeze-dried fish and reptile food as it's usually one ingredient!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:52 pm

Can they eat raw meat and cooked meat is there a better or ???

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:06 pm

Hermie escape artist wrote:Can they eat raw meat and cooked meat is there a better or ???
No one is cooking the raw meat they eat in the wild.

Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:47 pm

soilentgringa wrote:
Hermie escape artist wrote:Can they eat raw meat and cooked meat is there a better or ???
No one is cooking the raw meat they eat in the wild.

That's basically any raw meat that is on the food safety list ... chicken etc beef ... ..sorry double checking wanna be sure THANKS

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:13 am

wodesorel wrote:Things don't have to be organic, but in the long run it is probably safer given how long-lived hermits are.

When it comes to meat, the less additives the better. It doesn't have to be organic or grass fed or whatever, but watch for anything that has preservatives or is in a brine solution. A LOT of packaged meat has these.

Honestly, I have always stuck with freeze-dried fish and reptile food as it's usually one ingredient!
Where do you find those items? I've seen some freeze dried shrimp at petsmart, it's in a little plastic container. Is there anywhere else you order?

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:14 am

soilentgringa wrote:I don't cook meats for them. I just make sure to wash my hands after handling raw meat or anything in the crab tank. Their systems were designed to break down raw, decaying organisms so raw meat isn't going to harm them. No one is grilling up their fish in the wild.

Where do you get meat? What kind do you feed? Also how long do you leave it in? I was thinking 24 hours?

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:14 am

Stella wrote:
ciaraalston wrote:What do y'all feed fresh food wise? I have plenty of dried powder mixes, some moss, and I keep frozen raspberries I give randomly. What else do y'all feed?

I offer a variety of fruits, vegetables, meats, nuts, and calcium.
It’s very important to me to try something new with them, it’s my priority to find new and interesting foods for a healthy diet. I thaw everything first before feeding it, when it’s frozen. I don’t give the sane food twice in two weeks, unless it’s a big favorite.

I serve all meat raw, and I have tried salmon, pork, chicken, and turkey. I feed raw meat five times a week. There are some cool recipes that I will recommend!

CFC, Crabby Fried Chicken

Raw Chicken Meat (I always use thighs)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Organic Oatmeal

Slice off a small piece of chicken thigh, and dip it into the olive oil.
Cover the entire chicken serving in crushed oatmeal, and lay aside.
Prepare a skillet seared with a bit of olive oil, and heat up.
Place chicken on skillet and cook for one minute per side.
Serve.

My crabs absolutely adored the chicken! It’s very healthy since it’s not real fried chicken with bad hydrogenated oils and fats. There’s one last recipe I can give you, it’s a dry salad.

Crushed Dried Beets
Popcorn
Alfalfa
Chamomile Flowers
Dried Raspberries
Dried Blueberries
Himalayan Pink Salt

They also liked this, especially one of my E’s. I hope you find this works for you too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I can't wait to try this!!!!

Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:01 pm

ciaraalston wrote:
soilentgringa wrote:I don't cook meats for them. I just make sure to wash my hands after handling raw meat or anything in the crab tank. Their systems were designed to break down raw, decaying organisms so raw meat isn't going to harm them. No one is grilling up their fish in the wild.

Where do you get meat? What kind do you feed? Also how long do you leave it in? I was thinking 24 hours?

Hey so what all plants are safe ... like can I go out in my back yard and get some bark ? Do they eat and like bark ? .. and any tree branch ... and any plant leaf can I take a leaf from a tree and put it in the tank ?
... what about a formosa tree leaf and fig tree ? Do they eat figs ... or fig leafs

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:02 pm

Hermie escape artist wrote:
ciaraalston wrote:

Hey so what all plants are safe ... like can I go out in my back yard and get some bark ? Do they eat and like bark ? .. and any tree branch ... and any plant leaf can I take a leaf from a tree and put it in the tank ?
... what about a formosa tree leaf and fig tree ? Do they eat figs ... or fig leafs

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Check the safe food list. Make sure no pesticides or inorganic fertilizers are used in your yard. If you live within city limits or in a suburb, call the municipal offices and ask if they spray for mosquitos in your area. Many places do.

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:04 pm

Any meat that is not smoked, brined, or processed in any way. (No ham or bacon, for example.)

Raw chicken, bits of beef, bits of fish or shrimp.
ciaraalston wrote: