Found a possible new food!

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
ciaraalston

Found a possible new food!

Post by ciaraalston » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:33 am

Hey yall! Found this at Wal-Mart today in the hamster/fish section! Has anyone seen this? My boyfriend thought it might be good for the crabs. I haven't done my research yet, just wanted to get the pic posted and see if anyone's used it! It's only $3.97 too!ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

AwesomeHermit

Re: Found a possible new food!

Post by AwesomeHermit » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:36 am

from the ingredients it sounds safe. I definitely did not find those, and if I did I would would buy it
3 Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Crabbing for over two years!

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:53 am

So I just found this video about a review. All I've found online just says "all natural" and they make for rabbits mostly, but it almost could be for hermits too! What y'all think??

https://youtu.be/MTz7RPQKX7g

4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:18 am

Looks awesome. I'm going to look for it at my Walmart. My only concern is if it's organic. If not then maybe it shouldn't be fed that often.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

JoeHermits

Post by JoeHermits » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:24 am

Hmm... Kind of iffy. Peppermint and rosewood aren’t on any of the food lists, which means they were never officially trialed.

“Edible leaves”? That’s pretty vague, though I doubt they’d be harmful.

I don’t think there’d be any harm in offering these, just keep an eye on what they do and don’t eat. Let us know how things go!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:39 am

Rosewood I know is safe, and they do enjoy it!

Peppermint was an iffy one. Somehow different mints ended up on the safe and unsafe lists which made no sense because they are literally the same plant just with different flavors. Dozens of people had fed mints for years without trouble, but it's considered a natural insecticide. Etc. I tried it several times and my crabs just didn't eat it.

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:45 am

I fed my crabs organic mint leaves, and they liked it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:38 pm

wodesorel wrote:Rosewood I know is safe, and they do enjoy it!

Peppermint was an iffy one. Somehow different mints ended up on the safe and unsafe lists which made no sense because they are literally the same plant just with different flavors. Dozens of people had fed mints for years without trouble, but it's considered a natural insecticide. Etc. I tried it several times and my crabs just didn't eat it.

Rosewood is the name brand ;)

I never knew that mint was considered a natural insecticide!! I wish someone would tell whatever eats my organic sweet mint, organic apple mint, organic spearmint that!!! :hlol: It's definitely not an animal! Thank you for the insight! :) I have fed the sweet mint and the apple mint to my crabs, and they love it. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:18 pm

Four-lined plant bug is the only one I know that will decimate mint. They also devour basil and peppers!

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:39 pm

Yeah I couldn't find anything online about it being organic this morning. But I'm going to check tonight at work and dig some more.
Hermiesguardian wrote:Looks awesome. I'm going to look for it at my Walmart. My only concern is if it's organic. If not then maybe it shouldn't be fed that often.

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:41 pm

I'll definitely check it out and feed small and sparingly. Also since it's all dried I'm able to pick out what I don't want them to have, so I'll pick out the ones we aren't sure of and see what they eat from the rest!