Poop

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
ROSIEonFIRE

Poop

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:38 am

Found some rabbit poop in the yard and bagged it. What do u all think of wild poo? Also I put it in the freezer for storage/to kill any bug eggs that might be on it. Do you think freezing it will do the job? Last thing I want is to put some poo in the tat and wake up to find a tank full of flies.

p2gg86

Re: Poop

Post by p2gg86 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:54 am

I believe the hermit crab business has more food choices then feeding our beloving hermies other animals' poops though your method might proving costless :D . I go with the list that was listed on HCA or whatever I eat, i cut a little piece and share it with my hermies!

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:05 am

p2gg86 wrote:I believe the hermit crab business has more food choices then feeding our beloving hermies other animals' poops though your method might proving costless :D . I go with the list that was listed on HCA or whatever I eat, i cut a little piece and share it with my hermies!
It's actually really common to feed them deer, rabbit, or other manure. They eat it in the wild and they seem to really love it. One of our long time members and admins is in Alaska and sold moose droppings for them in her store and they were always selling out.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:53 am

LOL, I asked about poop not that long ago! We have moose that frequent our yard, but I haven't been brave enough to put any in the tat yet! I am trying to decide which wild critters would consume the least amount of non-organic matter. We are in rural Manitoba Canada, and our property is surrounded by farmland. Deer and coyotes would pretty much eat anything, including crops and gardens that have been treated with chemicals. Moose wouldn't eat crops, just vegetation that is between crops and might catch some chemical drift, same with rabbits I would think.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:43 pm

soilentgringa wrote:It's actually really common to feed them deer, rabbit, or other manure. They eat it in the wild and they seem to really love it. One of our long time members and admins is in Alaska and sold moose droppings for them in her store and they were always selling out.
She still sells it on Etsy ;) I ordered it from her - my hermies love it!

Occasionally I can find wild rabbit poo and my hermits love that too! Mine really LOVE frog & turtle poo!!!!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:54 pm

p2gg86 wrote:I believe the hermit crab business has more food choices then feeding our beloving hermies other animals' poops though your method might proving costless :D . I go with the list that was listed on HCA or whatever I eat, i cut a little piece and share it with my hermies!
I share some of my hermit crabs food but mostly leave the bugs, leaves and poop all for them ;)

Topic author
ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:35 pm

GotButterflies wrote:
soilentgringa wrote:It's actually really common to feed them deer, rabbit, or other manure. They eat it in the wild and they seem to really love it. One of our long time members and admins is in Alaska and sold moose droppings for them in her store and they were always selling out.
She still sells it on Etsy ;) I ordered it from her - my hermies love it!

Occasionally I can find wild rabbit poo and my hermits love that too! Mine really LOVE frog & turtle poo!!!!
Ok, I'm curious; how does one find and identify frog/turtle poo?

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:01 pm

Well, the turtle poo comes from my son's box turtle. :) The frog poo comes from my son's pacman frog. :) I do also find wild frog poo. (All reptiles do carry a risk of salmonella btw). I find frog poo and lizard poo in my garden, on window sills, by doors, etc. I just go around with a scrapper and a bag. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Iraj

Post by Iraj » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:47 pm

I have a wide range of pets, like birds, cats, dogs, guinea pigs, rabbits, fish, reptiles. All are indoor pets. I think I'll just offer them rabbit poop, less smelly and buggy and I know what's in it.