Worm

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Worm

Post by Hermie escape artist » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:27 am

2 question
Are earth worms as healthy as like other meats u can give hermie ... is it as healthy as meal worms
And do I leave it alive .. wont the worm dig in the sand an get lost... will hermie eat him alive ? How does it work ...

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Worm

Post by JoeHermits » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:57 am

If it’s meat, it’s good to eat.

Not sure about how to serve one, though. It won’t dig if it’s left in a food dish, and hermit crabs are perfectly capable of killing their own prey.

I’m just not sure about serving live animals, since larger ones such as earthworms may not die very quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:04 am

JoeHermits wrote:If it’s meat, it’s good to eat.

Not sure about how to serve one, though. It won’t dig if it’s left in a food dish, and hermit crabs are perfectly capable of killing their own prey.

I’m just not sure about serving live animals, since larger ones such as earthworms may not die very quickly.

K thanks !

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:05 pm

Mealworms and worms can get out of a dish if it's not deep enough. If freeze dried are available, why make something suffer? That doesn't make any sense to me.

Edit: You also don't want any live worms or mealworms in your crabitats.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:28 pm

I never offer live food to my crabs, so I’ve never tried earthworms myself. However, I did a quick internet search and found freeze-dried earthworms for sale.

https://www.amazon.com/Freeze-Dried-Ear ... B01BPFABOI

I’ll have to give these things a shot sometime.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:48 pm

I do live feeders sometimes, and usually what happens is one crab sits in the dish and eats them all in one go!

They should like earthworms, so long as they were collected someplace away from pesticides and fertilizers. Use like a shallow margarine container to contain it so it doesn't wander off, and the crabs will climb in to eat.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:15 pm

GotButterflies wrote:

Mealworms and worms can get out of a dish if it's not deep enough. If freeze dried are available, why make something suffer? That doesn't make any sense to me.

Makes sense!!!!

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:17 pm

THANKS ...

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:33 pm

GotButterflies wrote:
I remember a few years back I found a couple of earthworms in my crabitat, where the only thing I could think of how they got in is if they survived my moss being nuked in the microwave for a few seconds (that's why I now do not reccomend a few seconds, but longer (10+))....
Scared the daylights out of me, but it seemed to be doing fine and getting along with the crabs.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:44 pm

JJ, I left a tomato in my microwave once to ripen it up a little (hey, I have cats, have to hide everything from them!) and a couple days in I opened the door to a fruit fly party. Three minutes on high did not kill them! Microwaves do not work on insects.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:03 pm

wodesorel wrote:JJ, I left a tomato in my microwave once to ripen it up a little (hey, I have cats, have to hide everything from them!) and a couple days in I opened the door to a fruit fly party. Three minutes on high did not kill them! Microwaves do not work on insects.
Just worms are soft and squishy! Like they dont have an exoskeleton or anything remotely hard to protect themselves from becoming a dried crisp in a microwave....

But yeah, its amazing!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:05 pm

Hey another question... I bought meel worms ...so he didn't seem to touch them.yet been put new ones in daily ... going he will touch them later which he usually gets use to food after couple trys ... I out the exo skeleton and it disappeared I don't know if he dragged somewhere or ate but any WHO ... are dead meel worms bad or inedible..... they turn black if they are dead right ?
will they affect the other meel worms who are alive in the same container ... ..

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:49 pm

Black ones are dead. Hermit crabs are scavengers and can eat them just fine. If the mealworms are dying they may be dehydrated or just too warm or too cold.

I’d highly recommend buying them in a freeze-dried form, available in any pet store that sells feeder insects. They’re much more manageable.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Worm

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:10 pm

I do not recommend buying live mealworms to feed the hermit crabs. If it crawls out of the container it is possible for it to morph into a beetle. Just saying... also, when freeze dried are available why allow something to suffer if it isn’t necessary? That’s my opinion

Edit- I’m sorry, didn’t realize I responded to this already, nor did I see the other posts! Sometimes my phone acts up with Tapatalk

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:36 pm

They eat the beetles too, if they can catch them. The mealworms also go through a metamorphosis where they turn into a completely immobile and defenseless form for a little over a week. The crabs really like those!