Worm

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

AwesomeHermit

Re: Worm

Post by AwesomeHermit » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:22 am

GotButterflies wrote:
JoeHermits wrote:If it’s meat, it’s good to eat.

Not sure about how to serve one, though. It won’t dig if it’s left in a food dish, and hermit crabs are perfectly capable of killing their own prey.

I’m just not sure about serving live animals, since larger ones such as earthworms may not die very quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mealworms and worms can get out of a dish if it's not deep enough. If freeze dried are available, why make something suffer? That doesn't make any sense to me.

Edit: You also don't want any live worms or mealworms in your crabitats.

I totally agree. I hate going to Petco and seeing live mealworms in the lizard’s food bowl
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:25 pm

AwesomeHermit wrote:
GotButterflies wrote:
JoeHermits wrote:If it’s meat, it’s good to eat.

Not sure about how to serve one, though. It won’t dig if it’s left in a food dish, and hermit crabs are perfectly capable of killing their own prey.

I’m just not sure about serving live animals, since larger ones such as earthworms may not die very quickly.

Mealworms and worms can get out of a dish if it's not deep enough. If freeze dried are available, why make something suffer? That doesn't make any sense to me.

Edit: You also don't want any live worms or mealworms in your crabitats.

I totally agree. I hate going to Petco and seeing live mealworms in the lizard’s food bowl
Keep in mind, though, some reptiles won’t eat insects if they’re not moving. Hence live feeders are a thing.

Luckily for us, hermit crabs don’t seem to care.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:44 pm

It's not just in getting a reptile to eat, it's the level of nutrition that is found in live, along with the hydration levels. Live always tops dry, and attempting to feed dry usually leads to major health issues in reptiles. There are also no humane laws regarding insects, those freeze dried likely suffered way more than the quick dispatching another animal provides when it just wants to eat.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:44 pm

He hasn't eaten any yet I think he is broken lol hope not