Wood ... help!

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Wood ... help!

Post by Hermie escape artist » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:25 pm

I got my Hermie a new wood ..checked ot with the food safety list all good ! Alittle problem though he is obsessed with it ... it has been one complete day and he has not touched any other food .... maybe he has touched like one thing and just went right back to the wood ..he havnt touched the egg shells ... .. it has me worried ... should I take the wood out like every other day ... I mean at first he didnt even touch the water or anything at all last night first night he stayed on the wood all night and then today the water was touched but no egg shells nothing else he seems to be in the same spot a diff one from over night but still munching wood ..... should I be worried .... should I take the wood out and put it back another day so he can move .... I mean I wanna see how it is tomorrow and after tonight but

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Wood ... help!

Post by JoeHermits » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:45 pm

It sounds like someone found a new favorite snack! This is normal behavior.

Wood is a natural part of a hermit crab’s diet, containing tannins, cellulose, and other nutrients.

You don’t need to take it away. Hermit crabs are pretty good at knowing what their bodies need. The little soul won’t eat itself sick and will return to other foods when it needs to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:46 pm

JoeHermits wrote:It sounds like someone found a new favorite snack! This is normal behavior.

Wood is a natural part of a hermit crab’s diet, containing tannins, cellulose, and other nutrients.

You don’t need to take it away. Hermit crabs are pretty good at knowing what their bodies need. The little soul won’t eat itself sick and will return to other foods when it needs to.

K lol THANKS !!!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:13 pm

He is still obsessed with his wood ... I never seen so much poop I've never seen him poop before I got wood ... so either it was small or idk !!
Um ... he will go to his waters and touch other food MAYBE !
like once ..but ... maybe my crab is broken he doesnt know what's good for him and he is just obsessed with wood or ????
I mean I cant tell if he eats other things cause they eat so little so ... but I cant see the sand and food when food is messed up but most times it's like he'll leave the wood once touch other food maybe and back on his wood alllll day .... I mean I dont see him at night but most time over night only his water is dirty from being touched and nothi ng else .....

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:13 pm

Just worried... I mean hey if he is ok GREAT ...

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:53 pm

I’m sure he’s fine.

He may also just be using it as a “safe zone”. Hermit crabs are prey animals, so they’ll hang out where ever they feel they are least likely to be eaten, which in this case is up in a tree.

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:45 pm

That's makes sense and makes me feel alil better

p2gg86

Post by p2gg86 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:57 am

I think I have the thing going around. Recently I bought a wood hood and one of my crabs love hanging around it. He seem actually more happy then being sick :banana: