orange juice

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
Xenocrab

orange juice

Post by Xenocrab » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:38 pm

I got a dehydrator so I can make our own crabby foods. I've read that people dip apples, pears and other fruits in orange juice before dehydrating. Is orange juice safe for crabs? Also, any tips on dehydrating crabby foods would be helpful!
6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: orange juice

Post by wodesorel » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:30 pm

Yes, orange juice is safe. Other options are lemon juice, vinegar, and honey.

I always went with organic apple cider vinegar and organic honey. Mix it well and soak the fruit for a moment before laying on the rack. Helps keep the color and the freshness! The crabs love it, too. Never had a complaint from any of my customers either.

Five tricks I picked up was to: cut the fruit a little thicker than you'd think, it will seriously dry out and then you're left with shards once it has been completely dried. Expect it to take 24-48 to dry completely, fruit leather does not keep as long so it needs to be crispy. Dry on the lowest setting that works, around 120 for fruit or less, too high and the sugars will burn. Oil the racks with some organic coconut or olive oil, so that the pieces pop free. For really sticky or delicate things, get oversized pieces of plastic needlepoint canvas and cut liners to fit the trays, so you can lift it all out and carefully peel it away from the food!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Xenocrab

Re: orange juice

Post by Xenocrab » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:30 pm

That helps a lot! Thank you very much!
6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.