When all are down....

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
fandt94

When all are down....

Post by fandt94 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:10 am

What does everyone put out as far as food when all crabs are down? Small amounts of basics? I didn’t put any fresh out tonight because all seem to have dug under.
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

ciaraalston

Re: When all are down....

Post by ciaraalston » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:00 am

when i only had 2 and they were both under, i kept a dish of oyster shells, calcium powder, and some worm castings in the tank. i sprinkled some chia seeds in the substrate to grow and that's it. i just checked the tank multiple times a day so that i could add real food as soon as i saw one up. i didn't want to keep food in there and waste it.
Dry food lasts much longer than fresh so maybe you can add just a little dry and leave it for 3 or 4 days and change it? That way you're not wasting a whole bunch but they still have a little something when they come up?
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

curlysister

Post by curlysister » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:02 am

Yep, I put out a small bowl with basics, dried food only. The longer the time goes, and I know they are getting closer to resurfacing, I will be more careful about changing it out twice a week. At the start I just wait until it's covered in mold, LOL.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:21 pm

I do the same as everyone else that commented. I cut back on the portions and still put out freeze dried crickets and meal worms, and a little dried fruits and veggies. Once I see there is activity again I start back with my normal routine of food. I figure as long as there is something to snack on when they come up they aren't going to starve in a few hours.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:25 am

I don’t ever have crabs down all at once, just a few here and there :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!