Dehydrate food for crabs

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
jdauby09

Dehydrate food for crabs

Post by jdauby09 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:46 pm

Has anyone had any luck with dehydrating fruits and vegetables for their crabs?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

PinchersAndShells

Re: Dehydrate food for crabs

Post by PinchersAndShells » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:39 am

Many crabbers do this. You can use a dehydrator or use an oven.
I personally have had success drying things in the oven before. I leave the door cracked and set the temperature as low as I can get it, let it go for awhile and check up on things occasionally (it can take several hours.)
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Merle, Seasalt, & Elvis
2 Captive Bred PPs = Randy & Roxie
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:46 am

I use a dehydrator and an oven all of the time! :) It depends on what I'm dehydrating. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:20 pm

We just scored a Nesco American Harvest dehydrator with 4 extra racks and tray liners on Craigslist yesterday for $40! I have my fist batch of stuff in it now! Bananas, strawberries, kiwi, blueberries, pineapple, tomatoes, carrots, and broccoli.

We bought a small cheap dehydrator a few months ago. Everytime we used it the plastic trays cracked more and more. After 3 or 4 uses it was worthless.

I'm excited to see how well it works and to try dehydrating all kinds of stuff.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:10 pm

Here is my first batch of dehydred food. Broccoli, kiwi, cherry tomatoes, carrots, strawberries, pineapple, and banana. For my carrots, broccoli, I steamed them for 2 minutes before dehydrating, it's supposed to change the cell structure to help dehydrate better. The tomatoes, and blueberries I boiled to open up the skins.

Everything was ready the following morning about 8-10 hours except the bananas and blueberries. After work 18- hours later the bananas we're ready, the blueberries took another 4-5 hours almost 24 hours total.

I can see why it cost so much when you order this stuff. It's a lot of prep work and time. It's not hard just a little time consuming cutting, steaming, dipping, and boiling before the stuff is ready to dehydrate. 3 bananas got me about 1 1/2 small baby food jars. A tray of strawberries equal about 1 jar. With our food rotation this batch should easily get us about 2 months of feedings for 14-15 crabs in 2 tanks.ImageImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:38 pm

Nice! They look like they turned out good.

♡ Rod ♡ Salty ♡ Bob ♡ Squirt ♡ Crabina ♡
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers »-♡->