How much poop to feed

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

How much poop to feed

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:36 pm

I was able to get horse poop from a friend. Should I give it to them as often as worm castings?
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: How much poop to feed

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:25 pm

Hello :) Did you make sure the horses are not given any medications?
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:58 pm

GotButterflies wrote:Hello :) Did you make sure the horses are not given any medications?
Oh. I didn't think of that. I'll as her tomorrow. Thanks.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:06 pm

I would also check to see if she worms them regularly - if so, I wouldn't give the poop to your crabs - the wormer could be harmful to them.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:20 pm

GotButterflies wrote:I would also check to see if she worms them regularly - if so, I wouldn't give the poop to your crabs - the wormer could be harmful to them.
Ok.

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:13 am

GotButterflies wrote:I would also check to see if she worms them regularly - if so, I wouldn't give the poop to your crabs - the wormer could be harmful to them.
No meds and she's worming them today. So I already have the poop. How long after worming would the poop be safe?

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:49 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:
No meds and she's worming them today. So I already have the poop. How long after worming would the poop be safe?
I personally think I would avoid it all together because we don't know if wormers are safe to use with crabs.

Edit: Most horses are wormed with Ivermectin.

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:43 pm

GotButterflies wrote:
Hermiesguardian wrote:
I personally think I would avoid it all together because we don't know if wormers are safe to use with crabs.

Edit: Most horses are wormed with Ivermectin.
Ok. But wouldn't it be out of their systems 6 months later?

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:38 pm

I'm not sure when it comes to equines. IMO, when it comes to my crabbies, it's better to be safe than sorry. I'd stay away from it.

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:22 pm

GotButterflies wrote:I'm not sure when it comes to equines. IMO, when it comes to my crabbies, it's better to be safe than sorry. I'd stay away from it.
Ok. Thanks.