Base Diet Suggestions!

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
sarcasticLynx

Base Diet Suggestions!

Post by sarcasticLynx » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:39 pm

Hi everyone! It's been a while.

I've decided that I need to switch up my crab's diets. Currently they are mostly on: dried mealworms, dried shrimp, dried crickets, dried bok choy, carrots, zucchini, green beans, peas, apples, bananas, strawberries, peaches, pears, mangos, blueberries, and honey as a treat (note, all of these foods are dried/dehydrated). I have occasionally thrown in ripe bananas, seaweed, fresh coconut, and a bit of raw salmon, which not only smelled awful, the crabs ignored it lol.

Anyways back to the main question. I'm not going to lie, after reading multiple things on a crabs diet, I'm still at a loss as to what to feed them on a regular basis. I'm honestly looking for something prepackaged/preprepared due to my fear of forgetting to mix in a main food group. I plan to also supplement the diet more, as I have read that variety is very important.

Even after looking through Etsy and other websites, I worry those diets that they have aren't truly complete! Is there any certain ones you guys reccomend as a base diet?

Motörcrab

Re: Base Diet Suggestions!

Post by Motörcrab » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:14 am

Hermit crabs are similar to us and how we need a balance of the right items in order to stay healthy. It sounds like you are off to a pretty good start already. You can probably just expand on your current food items and be sure they get a mixed variety of each.

There are also a guide to nutrition and safe and unsafe food lists in the pinned topics in this section for more references. You can use those guides to really help.

This is a basic percentage for a daily diet.
50% Plant Litter: bars, twigs, seaweeds, sprounting seeds
25% Fruits, Seeds, & Nuts:
25% Animal Proteins: shrimp, fish, chicken, meats, mealworms,

With having 3 E's I would offer 2 or more Animal Proteins everyday.

It is always a good idea to have calcium available at all times as well in its own dish. Egg shells, A Cuttlebone shoved into the substrate works too.

My crabs may not eat a food that has been dried but love it either steamed or raw. Sometimes you need to experiment a little.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
sarcasticLynx

Post by sarcasticLynx » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:20 pm

Motörcrab wrote:Hermit crabs are similar to us and how we need a balance of the right items in order to stay healthy. It sounds like you are off to a pretty good start already. You can probably just expand on your current food items and be sure they get a mixed variety of each.

There are also a guide to nutrition and safe and unsafe food lists in the pinned topics in this section for more references. You can use those guides to really help.

This is a basic percentage for a daily diet.
50% Plant Litter: bars, twigs, seaweeds, sprounting seeds
25% Fruits, Seeds, & Nuts:
25% Animal Proteins: shrimp, fish, chicken, meats, mealworms,

With having 3 E's I would offer 2 or more Animal Proteins everyday.

It is always a good idea to have calcium available at all times as well in its own dish. Egg shells, A Cuttlebone shoved into the substrate works too.

My crabs may not eat a food that has been dried but love it either steamed or raw. Sometimes you need to experiment a little.
Wow thank you! I started making a chart. Looks like i need more nuts and seeds for sure

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:51 pm

Your welcome. I found that having several types of each food group is the easiest. I keep my foods small bagged foods stored in larger bags by category. As I use a food for a feeding I will put it in a "served" bag. Once I go through all the varieties I start over.

I also tried making meal bags, small food packs made for feedings. They would have 3 or 4 plants, 1-2 fruits, then 1-2 proteins for each day. They I would just just feed from each day rather than trying to figure out a new meal every time. I would also add different nuts and whatever organic veggies I would make for dinner. By having 7 day bags presorted that is 2 weeks of feedings if you feed them dry foods every other day. I'll use that technique if I ever need someone to crabsit for a few days.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities