What's on today's menu & recipe sharing ~2014~

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
jason00

What's on today's menu & recipe sharing ~2014~

Post by jason00 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:44 pm

Today I offered my crabs a variety in there food dish. Raw fig cut into small pieces, fresh apple, cuttle bone, dried shrimp, dried seaweed and a dash of hermit crab variety bites.This is the first time I have given them figs so I hope they like them as much as I do.

hermitcrab101

Re: What's on today's menu & recipe sharing

Post by hermitcrab101 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:48 pm

Today:
Crushed snail shell
Mealworms
Exoskeleton
Guinea pig poop
Romain lettuce
Calcium powder
Carrots

birkeymom

Post by birkeymom » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:08 am

Mine have gone nuts lately for mineral sand and coconut nectar.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

ReptileLover1

Post by ReptileLover1 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:56 am

Last night mine got :
Raw Pork Chops (Fairly large pieces- I gave 6 pieces I believe)
Butternut Squash
Red Bell Pepper

That was it for last night! They have been getting less fresh foods lately and I thought they deserved a completely fresh meal! They went crazy for the raw meat. I don't think they touched there vegetables! haha
I got my first crab in the summer of 2011. I now have 11 crabs!
I have 7 PPs and 4 Es! They are in a 40b.
I also have a pacman frog(Dewey), 2 Cats (Cinder, and Sherlock), And as a family we have 3 dogs ( Daisy, Coco, and Gizmo!)

lefty

Post by lefty » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:43 pm

was at the asian market today and got some chicken hearts and bamboo shoots will see what happens ,orange bell pepper and watercress !!
10 pp.'s ,5 E's, 2Violas, 4 strawshttp://s1330.photobucket.com/user/aliso ... y/library/
i respect all choices, even the ones that are not mine!( that is to remind ME)

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:48 pm

We had chicken fettuccine alfredo for dinner so the crabs got:

-small pieces of cooked whole wheat pasta
-tiny ripped up pieces of cooked, unseasoned chicken
-fresh Italian parsley
-small piece of raw broccoli
-small piece of raw carrot
-pureed papaya for desert

Rampage

Post by Rampage » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:05 am

My best friend raises Crested geckos and they eat a special fruit paste made of organic ingredients called Repashy Fruit Paste. He gave me a bag to share with my crabbies and I was amazed after giving them a small sample. Gretchen my smaller PP halted in her rush for the hide and dove headfirst into the sweet substance, using both her cheliform claws to shovel it into her mouth! I've never seen her eat so voraciously before and the best part is, all the ingredients I read are natural things like bee pollen and dried fruit, and a small amount goes a long way! Even my carnivore Pagurus stopped to nibble it a bit! Has anyone else discovered a new food treat meant for other terrarium pets that Hermit crabs go crazy for?
Proud owner of a two little Carribbean Hermit Crabs named Pagurus and Gretchen and my oldest companion Boxy the Box Turtle.

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:55 am

Rampage wrote:My best friend raises Crested geckos and they eat a special fruit paste made of organic ingredients called Repashy Fruit Paste. He gave me a bag to share with my crabbies and I was amazed after giving them a small sample. Gretchen my smaller PP halted in her rush for the hide and dove headfirst into the sweet substance, using both her cheliform claws to shovel it into her mouth! I've never seen her eat so voraciously before and the best part is, all the ingredients I read are natural things like bee pollen and dried fruit, and a small amount goes a long way! Even my carnivore Pagurus stopped to nibble it a bit! Has anyone else discovered a new food treat meant for other terrarium pets that Hermit crabs go crazy for?
Repashy crested gecko meal replacement powder?

Ingredients from my package:
Pea protein isolate, germinated brown rice protein concentrate, stabilized rice bran, dried honey, fructose, stabilized flaxseed powder, lecithin, alfalfa leaf meal, schizochytrium algae (source dha), dried kelp, calcium carbonate, malic acid, konjac flour, taurine, arachadonic acid, natural fruit flavors, chlorella algae, rosehips, hibiscus flower, calendula flower, marigold flower extract, paprika extract, turmeric, potassium citrate, salt, calcium propionate and potassium sorbate (as mold inhibitors), Rosemary extract and mixed tocopherols (as preservatives), magnesium amino acid chelate, zinc methionine hydroxy analogue chelate, magnesium methionine hydroxy analogue chelate, copper methionine hydroxy chelate,selenium yeast, potassium iodide. Vitamins: vitamin A supplement, vitamin d supplement, choline chloride, ascorbic acid phosphate, vitamin e supplement, niacin, beta carotene, pantothentic acid, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, menadione sodium bisulfate complex, folic acid, biotin, vitamin b-12 supplement.

Personally, I'm not sure I'd offer it to my crabs.

Now I've thought about Big Fat Gecko Smoothie. Just to compare ingredients:
Hemp nut protein, yellow pea protein isolate, figs, coconut flour, peaches, pears, dates, bee pollen, apricots, sweet potatoes, dried cane juice, sprouted brown rice protein, new Zealand whey protein, dried honey, quinoa flour, highest quality algae premix (kelp, red marine algae, dulse, spirulina, chlorella, Irish moss), acerola cherries, moringa leaf, yeast, carrots, mushroom blend, miner-all, bananas, rose hips, mulberries, lucuma fruit, blueberries, sea buckthorn, parsley, tapioca, Rosemary, turmeric, paprika.

This one claims 100% all natural, no gmos. In fact, if my geckos ate it better, I'd only offer it (I rotate between diets now).

Rampage

Post by Rampage » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:50 pm

I do want to point out that this isn't going to replace their entire diet, just as a treat once in awhile. Once I learned Jurrassicpet wasn't good for my pair I've been thinking about alternatives that help keep things from getting monotonous during feeding time.
Proud owner of a two little Carribbean Hermit Crabs named Pagurus and Gretchen and my oldest companion Boxy the Box Turtle.

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:38 pm

Rampage wrote:I do want to point out that this isn't going to replace their entire diet, just as a treat once in awhile. Once I learned Jurrassicpet wasn't good for my pair I've been thinking about alternatives that help keep things from getting monotonous during feeding time.
I didn't think you had meant it would be a staple. I just wanted to make sure you knew all the ingredients. ;)

Amazilia

Post by Amazilia » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:56 pm

Made pancakes!
Ingredients: Egg white, egg shell, unbleached buckwheat flour, coconut oil, chia seeds, blue cornmeal, plankton, fine crushed shrimp, bee pollen, green bell pepper, tomato, grapes, persimmon and honey.
Last edited by Amazilia on Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
20 Purple Pinchers in a 200g,10 Ecuadorians in a 40g,1 Salmon Pink Tarantula: Susie
2 Inca dogs: Rufus(Red&white hairless) & Lilac(White half-hairless), 1 Cinnamon Ferret: Smooch
2 Button Quails: Ruth & Dove, 6 Lovebirds,3 Chickens: Jade, Yin & Lace

Topic author
jason00

Post by jason00 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:55 pm

Tonights menu is shredded spinach leaves, boiled shrimp, coconut shavings and raw honey.

birkeymom

Post by birkeymom » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:56 am

Tonight i fed raw hamburger and the babies went nutso for it! I had put in maybe 1/2 t. And now i am thinking i should have put in a little more. I have about 7-8 crabs up right now, but i didnt know it would be such a hit!! :crabbigsmile:

Amazilia

Post by Amazilia » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:41 am

Today's menu: Wode's Coconut Crumble, a piece of bark, a thimbleberry (dried) and Rose leaves (dried). Its a shame my favorite PP is molting because she'd be all over those rose leaves! Oh and for protein there are some leftover freeze dried crickets from yesterday's meal :)
20 Purple Pinchers in a 200g,10 Ecuadorians in a 40g,1 Salmon Pink Tarantula: Susie
2 Inca dogs: Rufus(Red&white hairless) & Lilac(White half-hairless), 1 Cinnamon Ferret: Smooch
2 Button Quails: Ruth & Dove, 6 Lovebirds,3 Chickens: Jade, Yin & Lace

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:36 pm

F/T papaya puree, chunk of coconut, coconut water, dried salad greens, and sun dried krill.