What's on today's menu & recipe sharing ~2013~

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

wyldaeval

Re: What's on today's menu & recipe sharing

Post by wyldaeval » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:09 am

Avery wrote:
:hlol: :hlol: :hlol: :hlol: :hlol: :hlol: :hlol:

"Dirt of the Worm" !!!! LOL :hlol: "Poop of the Sheep" again I'm in tears Im laughing so hard! :hlol: VERY CLEVER!!!! :hlol:
Thank you, Avery! I had fun with it. It sounds better than it looked... :sick:: ...no "Poop of the sheep" for me! :hlol: Bman006 put out a spread that even I was tempted by! :D
Life is all about how you handle "plan B".
First introduced to hermit crabs while stationed on Guam back in the 70's.

Skymall007

Post by Skymall007 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:30 am

I love to buy those organic fruit and veggie bars for them. The hermits have fallen in love with a honey, raison, seasome seed one. Sputnik has been living in the food bowl lolz plus they last longer than fresh food. I often combine them with fresh food or use when I must leave for a day or so.
2Es- Sputnikt+Strangeship 1PP- Bluebug
RIP Spatula, HerbitHermenBatSquash, Kiwi, Flour, and Friendlyfeat, Mi6, Grape, Umo, and Upsidedown

speeddemonbk

Post by speeddemonbk » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:58 am

The hermies are going to have a fresh fruit salad with a side of mackerel for dinner. Bananas, mango, strawberries, grapes, kiwi, maybe pineapple if I cut it up (got a fresh one), walnuts, almonds, and apple. I might thin down some honey and toss the fruit in it, then for crunch add some dead mealworms on top. A lot of mine are molting, but I've seen a few more up so maybe they will actually eat some of it lol.
12 Purple Pinchers
2 Ecuadorian Popcicles
5 Bettas
3 Fire Belly Toads
2 Dogs
Hermie Site: http://coloradocrabby.webs.com/

jusgus

Post by jusgus » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:49 pm

Tried two new things lastnight. Apple and avicado, they seemed to like the avicado more than the apple lol
8 Purple Pinchers- Crush, Ally, Squishy, Huckleberry, Oscar, Nosey, Abi, and Nemo
11 Tarantulas
1 Leopard Gecko
1 Nile Monitor- Lucky

wyldaeval

Post by wyldaeval » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:12 am

jusgus wrote:Tried two new things lastnight. Apple and avicado, they seemed to like the avicado more than the apple lol
Mine don't seem to care for apple at all. I'll have to try avocado on them... :D

jusgus

Post by jusgus » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:05 am

Oats with honey, raisins, crushed almonds, and carrot baby food
8 Purple Pinchers- Crush, Ally, Squishy, Huckleberry, Oscar, Nosey, Abi, and Nemo
11 Tarantulas
1 Leopard Gecko
1 Nile Monitor- Lucky

Cecil716

Post by Cecil716 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:03 am

Today we are trying dried food as it keeps longer (as my molters are supposed too be up soon).
First up, we have a starter of dried salad (dried carrot, kale, cucumber and a pinch of parsley sprinkled on top).
Next course is a vegan dry steak kibble (Note: does not contain any meat). It is a simple mix of lightly calcium dusted oatmeal, a bit of dried greens and flowers sprinkled with some crushed berry pellets from the hermit crab addiction.
For desert there are 2 options, fresh popcorn and a movie (and by movie I mean they can watch me do stuff) as well as dried trail mix. The tail mix contains pineapple, apple, raisins and chopped almonds.
Throughout the meal there is complimentary moss and carrot calcium powder. We also have a house water of dechlorinated tap water, fresh from the sink.
Bon appitit!

NOTE: THIS MEAL IS ONLY GOOD FOR THE 8 HERMIT CRABS CURRENTLY IN MY CRABITAT. SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE THIS MAY HAVE CAUSED.
Current hermits: About 17 PPs and 3 straws (for now)
A 180-ish gallon tank with two 36 gallon extenstions!
What can I say? I love crabs!

jusgus

Post by jusgus » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:27 pm

Tonight is a new "crab butter" mix. Peanuts, almonds, raisins, and oats
11 Tarantulas
1 Leopard Gecko
1 Nile Monitor- Lucky

speeddemonbk

Post by speeddemonbk » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:45 pm

Tonight is one of their favorites to make a mess with... oatmeal. I usually throw in some nuts and dried cranberries or other dried fruit. With a side of live mealies they hopefully won't pupate in the shell shop for pets this time...lol. :roll:
12 Purple Pinchers
2 Ecuadorian Popcicles
5 Bettas
3 Fire Belly Toads
2 Dogs
Hermie Site: http://coloradocrabby.webs.com/

wyldaeval

Post by wyldaeval » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:30 pm

Chelsea716 wrote:Today we are trying dried food as it keeps longer (as my molters are supposed too be up soon).
First up, we have a starter of dried salad (dried carrot, kale, cucumber and a pinch of parsley sprinkled on top).
Next course is a vegan dry steak kibble (Note: does not contain any meat). It is a simple mix of lightly calcium dusted oatmeal, a bit of dried greens and flowers sprinkled with some crushed berry pellets from the hermit crab addiction.
For desert there are 2 options, fresh popcorn and a movie (and by movie I mean they can watch me do stuff) as well as dried trail mix. The tail mix contains pineapple, apple, raisins and chopped almonds.
Throughout the meal there is complimentary moss and carrot calcium powder. We also have a house water of dechlorinated tap water, fresh from the sink.
Bon appitit!

NOTE: THIS MEAL IS ONLY GOOD FOR THE 8 HERMIT CRABS CURRENTLY IN MY CRABITAT. SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE THIS MAY HAVE CAUSED.
:hlol: So, YOU provide entertainment for THEM as well? Double feature? Gonna need more popcorn! :crabbigsmile:

Sounds yummy...you sure you can't provide just one more serving??? :wink:

Cecil716

Post by Cecil716 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:32 am

Today Coral came up and turn into a blueberry. She is bright purpley blue. So to celebrate her inablity to not change every 2 months (first a viola, then a blue....well... still a viola). I made a full 4 course meal as she has eaten over %40 of the food from last night. That amount of food I put out is good for about 4 crabs. So lets get started!

Today's Meal

First course: Diced bell pepper salad topped with fresh parsley (kale, diced red/orange/yellow bell peppers, chia sprouts and tossed in non-extant olive oil).

Pallet cleanser: Powdered eggshells mixed with dried strawberry and blueberry powder.

Main course: Roast beef with green beans and mashed beets. Served with a side of diced dried organic crab-safe croutons (whole wheat, home made) drizzed in extra virgin olive oil (just a tiny bit).

Dessert: Mashed banana with a mango, apple, papaya, honey crystal puree. Topped with a drizzel of clover honey.

BONUS (Right before bed I added this): Peanut butter popcorn banana sandwiches (1 piece of popcorn cut in half and then filled with peanut butter and banana mush)

wyldaeval

Post by wyldaeval » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:00 am

Chelsea716 wrote:Today Coral came up and turn into a blueberry. She is bright purpley blue. So to celebrate her inablity to not change every 2 months (first a viola, then a blue....well... still a viola). I made a full 4 course meal as she has eaten over %40 of the food from last night. That amount of food I put out is good for about 4 crabs. So lets get started!

Today's Meal

First course: Diced bell pepper salad topped with fresh parsley (kale, diced red/orange/yellow bell peppers, chia sprouts and tossed in non-extant olive oil).

Pallet cleanser: Powdered eggshells mixed with dried strawberry and blueberry powder.

Main course: Roast beef with green beans and mashed beets. Served with a side of diced dried organic crab-safe croutons (whole wheat, home made) drizzed in extra virgin olive oil (just a tiny bit).

Dessert: Mashed banana with a mango, apple, papaya, honey crystal puree. Topped with a drizzel of clover honey.

BONUS (Right before bed I added this): Peanut butter popcorn banana sandwiches (1 piece of popcorn cut in half and then filled with peanut butter and banana mush)
:clap: Congrats on Coral coming up a bright purpley blue. Would love to see a picture of her! :) What a menu! Your hermies eat way better than I do... :lol:

On the menu for 'L'ermite faim' last night:

Our appetizer features Dirt of the Worm, ala Worm topped off with Mud Bug Butt (crayfish exo, backside :lol: )
Our protein entrees are minced pecan almondine, boiled egg, "Sunburned shrimp" and chicken. All entrees are served with hemp and mixed veggies, and lilac blossoms.
For dessert we have a lovely hemp, honey, coconut and chai "mousse"....no, not mouse... :lol: served with a tiny drizzle of coconut oil and rehydrated mango.

Bon appétit! :D

Avery

Post by Avery » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:30 am

so, I indulged in a culinary experiment this weekend :) This time my guinie pigs were the crabs...
I dont have a name for it yet, but, I can say that these crabs went totally bonkers over this meal/treat/whatever you want to call it. I was banking on the sweet tooth factor too :D

I thinly sliced up half a sweet potatoe, half a yam, and half an apple. (peeled it first)
I covered my cookie sheet with a bit of tin foil.
layerd the slices on it.
drizzled Agave Nectar over the slices.
Baked for 30-40 minutes.
I let it cool for a minute or several, on some wax paper... it is rather sticky concoction.

Not only did the crabs love it, my son found it cooling on the counter and helped himself! He loved it too.
Then I told him I made it for the crabs, and the stigma of "crab food" took over, he wont touch it now. Oh well.

Its yummy :D
Be yourself, everyone else is already taken (Oscar Wilde)
Human mom to: Straws, PP's, Indos, Violas, E's, Goldfish, Julii Cory Cat's, dogs, cats & a teenager

Cecil716

Post by Cecil716 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:49 am

I might need to try making that for my self, forget the crabbies that sounds good!
I had another batch of dried things today and I might have about 10 cups of dried food right now... whoops.

Todays Meal:
Fresh oatmeal nut blend (oatmeal, chopped nuts, dried seaweed, mixed dried fruit/veggies).
Dried Salad (New batch, new flavours: Dried kale, dried bell peppers, dried seaweed, dried tomatoes, and dried strawberrys.
And tonight has a bit of special treat... A little test "hay" pit from some hay the petshop gave me to try. Imixed some timothy hay with dried flowers (marigold, roses and a tiny bit of chamomile as well as hibicus) and some dried oak leaves from last summer (aged for perfection). Coral has been munching on it all night and then went for a swim... then more hay.

jusgus

Post by jusgus » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:51 pm

Tonight is a small salad made of Diced cabbage, diced almonds, and orange chunks. With some fluker's river shrimp on the side
11 Tarantulas
1 Leopard Gecko
1 Nile Monitor- Lucky