Crabs don't seem to eat much

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
Mittmom

Crabs don't seem to eat much

Post by Mittmom » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:57 pm

We've had our crabitat for 3 weeks and honestly, I feel like the crabs don't eat enough! I have been feeding them an array for fresh and dried foods (whole foods, not commercial). I've seen them eating fresh banana, avocado, chicken and coconut, but never any of the dried foods. Is it possible they are eating tiny bits during the night and I just can't tell? I also NEVER see them in the water, but then again, I'm not watching them at night when they're most active.
My feeling is not to worry, as long as we're providing them with a variety of foods, and fresh and salt water, even if I don't see them consuming, they should be okay...

Hermiesguardian

Re: Crabs don't seem to eat much

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:14 pm

They eat such small amounts you may not notice. And they're picky. What they don't like this week, may like next week. So always try foods again. And as long as they're alive, they're eating. I only see mine drink because I have a camera.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Mittmom

Post by Mittmom » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:23 am

Thank you! I KNOW they must be eating and drinking, and have been suspecting they eat so little maybe I just didn't notice any food missing.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:42 am

I swear that for the first two years I had my crabs, the only way I knew that they were eating was that they weren't dead! LOL! It seemed like I just put in and took out the same amount of food. Now that they are bigger, I can actually see the food disappear.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

scuttlecrusty22

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:06 pm

Your crabs are probably just eating little pieces of the dry food at a time👍As long as you are giving them plenty of food options you should be ok. I also find that my crabs like fresh foods more than dry food (wich is a shame because dried food are much eaiser to prepare and clean up :|) Also you can try to feed your hermit crabs popcorn!!!(as ling as it is un-buttered,un-salted etc.....I buy tje popcorn that you are supposed to make in a machine and just put a few pieces the microwave for about 1 minute
(Scuttle, Crusty) crabs, (Buster,Ruby) chihuahuas, (Bugs) goat, (Echo) betta fish (Skittles,Sky) parakeets

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life"

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:35 pm

My guys always devour popcorn! I use unrefined organic coconut oil to do my popcorn in. Once popped I'll save a handful for them in a ziplock bag then eat the rest of the batch myself. I'll usually toss a piece or two in for each crab. Usually overnight it's all come except for the bits of shell.

My guys also love spaghetti. I usually buy the organic stuff at Aldi's. I boil it in plain water, no salt or oil. Then pick after I drain it I'll pick two to three pieces out for them. most of that usually disappears or is drug someplace else in the tank.

It's very easy to "overfeed" crabs. 1/4 teaspoon total of several food items is probably enough for four or five crabs for a day or two. Pretty much if you have a lot of food left over after a day or two you are overfeeding or they decided they didn't want like that selection that day. I also found out my guys don't like broccoli raw, they prefer it steamed. You can try serving things different ways and see if that makes a difference. Sometimes my guys won't touch dry stuff until it turns to mush due to the humidity. Other times they eat it right away. I made a basic nut medley a few weeks ago. Sunflower & chia seeds, cashews, walnuts, pecans, almonds, and coconut ground up in a coffee grinder. That has been a big hit almost every time I put it in.

I found keeping a food journal helps with rotating foods. I have a flower shaped dish from mlakers. Each petal is it's own compartment along with the center. I'll write down the date and what I put in each compartment. If they devour everything overnight I'll go back and add a :star: by that food. If they don't touch in two days it it gets an "X". That way I can I can go back and weed out their unpopular foods and not order it again.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities