Dishes

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Re: Dishes

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:37 am

Overmountain1 wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:32 pm
I do have the food and water dish combo, but the one was so shallow that if anyone moved the water there was a low spot that made it leak out pretty badly. They just aren’t deep at all I didn’t think. Mine aren’t at least!
Also, am I imagining this or did I read it somewhere else? I thought they were supposed to have it deep enough they can submerge or close to it, as long as they have a way to climb out as well? Is that a ‘should’ or an ‘ideal condition’ or a ‘just if you can’ on the scale of important needs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's a should. They need to be able to submerge.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:58 am

Thank you! That was my understanding.

If they need to be able to do this, why are there such crappy shallow dishes they try to say are ok? Guess it’s just like most everything else out there marketed for crabs; Take whatever it says with a dose of skepticism and come to find the answer for ourselves here!

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:00 am

Overmountain1 wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:58 am
Thank you! That was my understanding.

If they need to be able to do this, why are there such crappy shallow dishes they try to say are ok? Guess it’s just like most everything else out there marketed for crabs; Take whatever it says with a dose of skepticism and come to find the answer for ourselves here!

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Exactly. You're welcome.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:55 am

I really like mlakers food dishes. I have a pea pod shaped one and a custom large flower shaped ones for my straws xenocrab got me for xmas. They aren't very tall so everyone should be able to get to the food. With the different compartments it is easy to tell what foods they like and don't like.

They are more expensive than other dishes but I consider them works of art. All are hand made and no two are alike. Plus Mary uses the proceeds to help the funding of her hermit crab breeding. I personally like to support other members on here when they have items available. We all love seeing all the baby updates plus you get cool food dishes. I consider it a win win!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/EarthWaterFir ... _faveshops
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Overmountain1

Dishes

Post by Overmountain1 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:16 pm

I actually saw those in some pics and was thinking how awesome they are- thanks for the link! This may be the perfect alternative, I was thinking someone ought to be making something along these lines.

Mucho gracias

Edit: I talked to the hubbs and he told me to go ahead and get one of the pea pod ones. What a good man he is. Can’t wait til it gets here!