Australia land hermit crab

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
Joshua183

Australia land hermit crab

Post by Joshua183 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:46 pm

I got a question, what kinds of food do the australian land hermit crabs like.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Australia land hermit crab

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:33 pm

From my experiences, it really does vary from crab to crab. In the past, I've had crabs that tend to prefer eating a high number of veggie matter - favs included mango, corn, and carrots, as well as leaf litter - while some of my crabs now really prefer meatier foods - beef, chicken, eggs, fish ect.

Offering a varied diet is the best way to ensure you're targeting all food groups... All crabs - regardless of species - tend to have favourites and dislikes, you'll find them as you go.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

odelayheehoo

Re: Australia land hermit crab

Post by odelayheehoo » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:00 pm

It's not just Aussies, all crabby species mostly. They need to be offered fresh foods whenever possible, it's highly recommended to gibe your crabs a very wide range of different foods each day and don't repeat them often to prevent them from becoming tired of eating the same thing.

Certain crabs like certain things, not all crabs will eat what one crab will, it's sometimes a game to see what kinds of foods that your crabs like and don't like. If they don't like something, maybe they will eventually warm up to it, keep trying new things until you've found something that works. Just be mindful of the safe and unsafe food lists, found here.

Safe Foods: https://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/p ... 25&t=92557

Unsafe Foods: https://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/p ... 25&t=92556

I hope this helps you! :)
Keeper Since 2016
75G - 10PP