What you keep in your pantries?

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.
Post Reply
User avatar

Topic author
angelbearpuppy
Posts: 271
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:20 pm
Location: Texas

What you keep in your pantries?

Post by angelbearpuppy » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:02 pm

So, I know we all keep a variety of foods, and was wondering what you keep on hand for your crabs at all times? What are their favorites, what do your pantries look like. Just something for fun conversation.

For example, I can't show a pictures as I am not home at the moment, but the three things I always try to keep on hand are:

Peanut butter
Honey
Olive Oil

They seem to really enjoy when I drop these items in the tank, I tend to keep them on hand. Runner ups would be

dehydrated apples
seaweed
any type of nut

What do you seem to always have on hand that your guys love. How do you keep all your food supplies organized?
I have owned Hermit Crabs for 2 Years

I have 1 E named Monkey and 2 PP named Shy Guy and Little P

I also own 1 PP named Dory who stays in my classroom

User avatar

Motörcrab
Posts: 797
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:56 pm
Location: Coal Region in Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: What you keep in your pantries?

Post by Motörcrab » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:51 pm

We have a tons of food for them. My stash is somewhat organized in plastic storage bins with three shelves. Two of them are filled with all sorts of stuff, animal proteins, insects, fish, seaweeds, flowers, leaves, nuts, berries, dried fruits and veggies, poop, leaves, color boosting items, I'm sure I'm forgetting things too. Plus they get get spaghetti and fresh veggies when I cook them!

My guys always seem to always devour beef tripe (stomach), beef lung, popcorn, and love fresh apples and pears when I give them the cores. Their tastes seem to change a lot. If something disappears one time the next time it may go untouched.

We always like to try different things when I see different items avaliable. Azomite was a new one, my wife also got samples of sea cucumber. You never know what may be a dinner time hit.

I try to log every time I change out their foods. When they devour something overnight I'll put a star next to that item. If they don't eat it I'll put an "X" next to it. That way when I run out of something I can order what they like.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Help Improve Our Resources Section (weblinks)
http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 2&t=119315

Once we get more links the directors will update the resources in a few weeks. Thanks!

User avatar

ROSIEonFIRE
Posts: 389
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:18 am
Location: Upstate NY

Re: What you keep in your pantries?

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:56 pm

I also have a large crabbie pantry. I make my own crab food and usually once every six months drag everything out and make all their food mixes for the coming months. I’ve got all sorts of dried bugs/shrimp, fruits, grasses, seaweeds, freeze dried meat dog treats, seeds, leaves, barks, herbs, etc. I also tend to dip into my personal spice rack and pantry
during food prep time. Someday I’d really like to get a dehydrator so i can dehydrate veggies for them. That’s one thing I really should feed more.

Unfortunately I currently don’t have much of an organization system. Everything’s just kind of crammed in my crab cupboard. Someday it will all be nicely organized!

One thing I do give them pretty frequently is grapes, mostly because I always keep the, in the house as a treat for myself. They love them though!
Last edited by ROSIEonFIRE on Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar

ROSIEonFIRE
Posts: 389
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:18 am
Location: Upstate NY

Re: What you keep in your pantries?

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:57 pm

Motörcrab wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:51 pm
We have a tons of food for them. My stash is somewhat organized in plastic storage bins with three shelves. Two of them are filled with all sorts of stuff, animal proteins, insects, fish, seaweeds, flowers, leaves, nuts, berries, dried fruits and veggies, poop, leaves, color boosting items, I'm sure I'm forgetting things too. Plus they get get spaghetti and fresh veggies when I cook them!

My guys always seem to always devour beef tripe (stomach), beef lung, popcorn, and love fresh apples and pears when I give them the cores. Their tastes seem to change a lot. If something disappears one time the next time it may go untouched.

We always like to try different things when I see different items avaliable. Azomite was a new one, my wife also got samples of sea cucumber. You never know what may be a dinner time hit.

I try to log every time I change out their foods. When they devour something overnight I'll put a star next to that item. If they don't eat it I'll put an "X" next to it. That way when I run out of something I can order what they like.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Where do you get your supplies from motorcrab?

User avatar

RiNiKy506
Posts: 686
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:08 pm

Re: What you keep in your pantries?

Post by RiNiKy506 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:27 pm

ROSIEonFIRE wrote:I also have a large crabbie pantry. I make my own crab food and usually once every six months drag everything out and make all their food mixes for the coming months. I’ve got all sorts of dried bugs/shrimp, fruits, grasses, seaweeds, freeze dried meat dog treats, seeds, leaves, barks, herbs, etc. I also tend to dip into my personal spice rack and pantry
during food prep time. Someday I’d really like to get a dehydrator so i can dehydrate veggies for them. That’s one thing I really should feed more.

Unfortunately I currently don’t have much of an organization system. Everything’s just kind of crammed in my crab cupboard. Someday it will all be nicely organized!

One thing I do give them pretty frequently is grapes, mostly because I always keep the, in the house as a treat for myself. They love them though!
Check LetGp for a dehydrator. I got one for $15, the lady only used it 3 times. I haven’t used it yet but it’s a step toward where I’m trying to go. Lol!


Rod♡Salty♡Bob♡Squirt♡Crabina♡Who
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers <-♡-«
Rod♡Salty♡Bob♡Squirt♡Crabina♡Who
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers <-♡-«

User avatar

Motörcrab
Posts: 797
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:56 pm
Location: Coal Region in Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: What you keep in your pantries?

Post by Motörcrab » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:54 am

I found a dehydrator on Craig's List several months ago for $40. It came with extra shelves and tray liners too. I dehydrated a pile of fruits and veggies when I first got it and am still going through that stuff.

We get our foods from several different vendors and websites. If you click the link in my signature all the links to the are right there.

Etsy: The Healthy Hermit, Cholla Queen, MT Pet Emporium, EarthWaterFire Studios
eBay: Hugs for Hermits, Amy's Crab Treats
Hermies Kitchen

With one of our adoption we also received a big stash of foods from wodesorel's closed Hermit Crab Garden. They love her Wo' pourri flower mix and the Garden Salad Mix!
Help Improve Our Resources Section (weblinks)
http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 2&t=119315

Once we get more links the directors will update the resources in a few weeks. Thanks!

User avatar

Topic author
angelbearpuppy
Posts: 271
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:20 pm
Location: Texas

Re: What you keep in your pantries?

Post by angelbearpuppy » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:01 pm

Do you recommend any mix in particular. I have been looking at different mixes and just feel a little over whelmed. I would like to try them but don't know where to start. For now, they have been getting an stuff I make on my own.
I have owned Hermit Crabs for 2 Years

I have 1 E named Monkey and 2 PP named Shy Guy and Little P

I also own 1 PP named Dory who stays in my classroom

User avatar

Motörcrab
Posts: 797
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:56 pm
Location: Coal Region in Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: What you keep in your pantries?

Post by Motörcrab » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:30 pm

I actually like to make my own food mixes out of all of my individual foods. I'll toss a little of this, that, and whatever else I decide into a coffee grinder. Then I use that mix and store whatever is left a week or two and feed again.

I do however like getting calcium mixes and using them for the calcium pits. Cholla Queen has a Dungeness Crab Exo mix and a Fish bone mix my crabs love. I'll usually mix those together in their calcium bow with some Azomite, egg and oyster shells along with some greensand.

Wodesorel's Garden and Wo'pourri are great as leaf litter unfortunately she closed her shop a while back.
Help Improve Our Resources Section (weblinks)
http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 2&t=119315

Once we get more links the directors will update the resources in a few weeks. Thanks!

User avatar

ROSIEonFIRE
Posts: 389
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:18 am
Location: Upstate NY

Re: What you keep in your pantries?

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:06 pm

angelbearpuppy wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:01 pm
Do you recommend any mix in particular. I have been looking at different mixes and just feel a little over whelmed. I would like to try them but don't know where to start. For now, they have been getting an stuff I make on my own.

I make my own food also but in my opinion, as long as a mix has a lot of different kinds of foods it'll be fine. I like mixes to have at least 1 meat, and a variety of plants, fruits, vegetables, or grains. I think the best thing is to buy a few different mixes that vary a lot. I feed my crabs from several different varieties of home-made mix so they get a ton of variety in their diet.

In short, look for mixes with at least 1 protein and otherwise a great variety of ingredients, and try to have at least 5 different types of mixes to rotate through. As long as there's variety the crabs will be fine.

Also keeping a cuttlefish bone or eggshells available at all times is a good practice.

I particularly recommend gotbutterflies etsy store TheHealthyHermit but it looks like shes taking a hiatus! Might want to keep an eye out though cause her mixes are amazing.

Post Reply