Are Scallions Ok?

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
BlookittiePC

Are Scallions Ok?

Post by BlookittiePC » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:14 pm

During my last food change I gave my crabs pieces of chopped scallions. Unfortunately, I have a tendency of checking after feeding.... Now the whole tank smells faintly of scallions and upon further inspection scallions are on neither the safe food nor the unsafe food list.... I checked for the closest thing I could think of - chives - and found those weren't included either. Thinking of the next closest thing, I found onions to be on the unsafe food list. I already put the scallions in the tank, but nobody has touched them yet. Do I have to take them out or are they fine for the crabs to eat?
Two PPs: Jarvis and Friday(currently my picture) Who have been with me since 7/14/18!
And two cats: Beanie and Delia

AwesomeHermit

Re: Are Scallions Ok?

Post by AwesomeHermit » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:06 pm

I would be safe and say no because I could not find onions on the safe food list. Hopefully others leave their input in this thread as well.
3 Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Crabbing for over two years!

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:09 pm

We avoid anything in the onion family. I'd say to take them out and replace them with other stinky foods. Crabbies are sensitive to smells, which I don't understand seeing they don't have noses! Lol! Try some stinky fish! Or some kind of poop. We give ours, chicken, worm and bat poop!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

5 store bought, 6 rescues and 7 adopted.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:54 pm

Anything in the allium family (garlic, onion, scallion, chives) is best avoided as arthropods are not known to eat these plants.

Topic author
BlookittiePC

Post by BlookittiePC » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:48 am

Thank you for the input! After I posted, I went back up and replaced their food while thoroughly airing out the tat. They seem to be ok so far despite all my worrying.
Two PPs: Jarvis and Friday(currently my picture) Who have been with me since 7/14/18!
And two cats: Beanie and Delia