Peanut butter issues

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
JenniferRallison

Peanut butter issues

Post by JenniferRallison » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:58 am

I have some organic pb I like to feed the crabs but when it sits under my tanks heat lamp it tends to melt. I’m worried that it’s too sticky and liquidity for them. First should I be worried that it’s not safe being sticky ? Second is there anything that I could maybe mix it with?

PinchersAndShells

Re: Peanut butter issues

Post by PinchersAndShells » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:00 am

My organic peanut butter is naturally pretty runny, I’ve never been too concerned about it considering I’ve also given then honey, olive oil, and raw egg. As for thickening it up, if you're worried, you could try adding cornstarch or experiment and see if it thickens any if you add dry peanut butter powder.
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Merle, Seasalt, & Elvis
2 Captive Bred PPs = Randy & Roxie
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

Pincher

Post by Pincher » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:26 pm

I'm also not concerned about that. I frequently feed them peanut butter, honey, raw eggs... as well as quite "slimy" fruits for years.
If you want to thicken it for some reason, I would mix in some crumbs from their usual food. On the bottom of e.g. my box of bloodworms, there are always some crumbs.

crabby33

Post by crabby33 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:38 pm

This is giving me an idea to give my crabs a mix of honey, olive oil and eggs and mix in some of the blood worms and shrimp that they like. I may even consider mixing in ground flax seed and chia seed.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:18 pm

It is fine. In the future, maybe mark the top hermit crabs and store it in the pantry :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com