Information on mangrove sap?

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
neofeathers

Information on mangrove sap?

Post by neofeathers » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:40 pm

Hello!
I picked up Gardner's Hermit Crab Food the other day. None of the ingredients sound iffy and its on the safe commercial food list, but it seems to be a smaller company and I think ingredients might vary from location to location, or over time. Here's what mine says the ingredients are:

Contents: Mixed Organic Grains, Coconut Meal, Seaweed, Mangrove Sap, trace elements. Contents are balanced for the proper development of cuticle skin during molting. For land hermit crabs. No GMO. Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein 24% Crude Fat 2.5% Crude Fiber 4.5% Cal 1.0

Everything seems perfectly fine, its all on the safe food list, but the thing that seemed weird to me was "mangrove sap". I couldn't find any information on what mangrove sap is, on the forum or on Google. All that comes up in a search is research papers about mangroves and info on a species of mangrove called the "milky mangrove", in which the milky sap is poisonous so I can't imagine it's that. Mangroves are on the safe food list but they talk about growing it, not the sap itself.

Does anyone have information or personal experience? Am I being paranoid? At this point I'm kind of just curious.
★ Owner of two lovely PPs ★