frying sum backyard bugs

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
avocadocrabbies

frying sum backyard bugs

Post by avocadocrabbies » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:15 pm

I was looking at some nutrition lists and saw that insects are a lot more highly valued than I thought. I personally have a fear of crickets, which eliminated pretty much the main "bug" source that is recommended. However, if I go outside and just flip over a rock, there's a bunch of critters crawling around there. Would it be feasible to capture some, squash em, and bake them in a piece of tinfoil? For ex. a pillbug, firstly, they're fast little buggers. 1. how would I catch it 2. how would I kill it (is squashing it okay? Don't want to have to scrape anything) 3. how would I cook it? Dunno if anyone's done this before.
four crabbies: Pool Guy, Karen, Hurricane Sandy, Igor- 3 PPs and an E :)

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: frying sum backyard bugs

Post by JoeHermits » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:57 pm

I don't recommend frying up wild insects because they can get themselves into all sorts of things and there's no way to tell what they've been exposed to.

If you do decide to go the live food route, you can kill it by either freezing it or squeezing it's head. I'd recommend the latter since it's a quicker death. I don't usually cook my own insects but I would imagine baking or frying for a few minutes would do. Look up entomophagy recipes for ideas.

Otherwise raw insects work, too.

Topic author
avocadocrabbies

Re: frying sum backyard bugs

Post by avocadocrabbies » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:39 pm

JoeHermits wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:57 pm
I don't recommend frying up wild insects because they can get themselves into all sorts of things and there's no way to tell what they've been exposed to.

If you do decide to go the live food route, you can kill it by either freezing it or squeezing it's head. I'd recommend the latter since it's a quicker death. I don't usually cook my own insects but I would imagine baking or frying for a few minutes would do. Look up entomophagy recipes for ideas.

Otherwise raw insects work, too.
okay, thank you!
four crabbies: Pool Guy, Karen, Hurricane Sandy, Igor- 3 PPs and an E :)