Watermelon rinds + idea

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
asiankanye

Watermelon rinds + idea

Post by asiankanye » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:05 pm

I know watermelon is safe for hermit crabs, but are the rinds too? I'm just using the most I have at home because sometimes online shipping isn't the most reliable. Also, is it possible for us to have a topic like recipe sharing, but people just pop in to ask if certain foods are safe? Like foods not mentioned in the safe food list or unsafe food list. Just an idea

Hermielover121

Re: Watermelon rinds + idea

Post by Hermielover121 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:13 pm

Ya that would be cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:17 pm

The rinds are fine. If you look around you can find rind recipes for humans, too.

As for your proposed topic, you could try starting one and see if anyone jumps in.

If you’ve scrolled through my posts you’ve probably noticed that I’m really lax compared to others about what’s “safe” or “unsafe” for hermit crabs. Unless something has a known toxin that I think could be harmful I just assume that it would be safe unless proven otherwise.

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:24 pm

I'm the complete opposite end with foods as Joe. I'm way more conservative and consider things being potentially dangerous if not proven safe. I feel it creates a lot of confusion if we have conflicting answers to the same food. I just like to be more cautious with foods.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:40 pm

I don’t think having different opinions is bad, though. It lets us look at things from different angles and consider arguments we wouldn’t have thought of on our own.