Want to find shop in Canada that sells hermit crab food mixes

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
Hermielover121

Want to find shop in Canada that sells hermit crab food mixes

Post by Hermielover121 » Fri May 08, 2020 12:18 pm

I am trying to order my hermit crabs some dry food mixes, but the ones that I have found are all not in Canada or not in business right now. I wanted to give some nice and healthy protein and fruit mixes. Any good shops that are from Canada because if they aren’t it cost a lot for shipping! If there is not any, could I make some myself? Has anyone ever made dry food mixes for there hermit crabs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Hermielover121

Re: Want to find shop in Canada that sells hermit crab food mixes

Post by Hermielover121 » Fri May 08, 2020 12:36 pm

I have also looked at a lot of the food list and can’t find any that are in Canada.

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Fri May 08, 2020 1:22 pm

Canadian Chubby Crab on Facebook is the only shop I'm aware of.

https://facebook.com/CChubbyCrab/

I think @RiNiKy506 has ordered from them before.

@curlysister may know of a few store since she is lives in Canada too.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Fri May 08, 2020 1:40 pm

We purchase a lot of foods ourselves. Some health food stores sell organic flowers, herbs, leaves, and roots that are for human consumption loose. Not everything is safe or at least it's unknown one way or another. There are tons of options there. We also dehydrate fruits and veggies we buy for ourselves. Bananas, different berries, apples, oranges, pears, broccoli, to name a few. We started purchasing our calciums in bulk. It's usually listed under fertilizer. It comes in 4-5 pound bags so its a bit overkill if you don't have a ton of crabs. Since we are vegan we don't have meat in our homes. We found some single ingredient, nothing added dog and cat treats that our crabs love, dried chicken flesh, salmon skin, beef nibs, turkey gibblets, chicken hearts have been popular with our crabs. There are also a lot of organic no additive baby foods that crabs like too. Just freeze flat in a bag and pinch pieces off as you feed it.

Once you get a bunch of stuff you can mix and match and put it in a grinder to make different powders.

Topic author
Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Fri May 08, 2020 2:11 pm

Thank you
I really want to make some of my own but my parents aren’t really going for that idea. Lol. I will check out chubby crab

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Fri May 08, 2020 2:21 pm

Yes, I have bought from Canadian Chubby Crab a few times. She has so many good mixes to choose from and she is such a great person too! Definitely one of my favorite stores, I highly recommend. I have also been trying to find the single ingredient food items for my crew to have more in bulk. I have 25 crabs I’m feeding right now, in four different tanks, so it really helps to have more in the bulk to save me money in the long run. I like to buy some things and split with friends too, that way food stays fresh and you can get the bulk without worrying about it going bad if you can’t use it fast enough. I have a few of my favorite food stores and I will always buy my crews favorites but I am trying to save myself a little bit of money with buying the bulk since I do have so many crabbies. The more crabs you have the more expensive it gets buying from the shops all the time, I hope I’m not coming off wrong by this post. I love buying from the shops too but I am trying to save myself some money on some of the bigger bags of certain things. I do love to shop those crabby stores, it’s one of my favorite things to do. ;) What’s better than getting a package in the mail with goodies for our crabbies!? Like nothing at all! Image

Topic author
Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Fri May 08, 2020 2:43 pm

Lol. I don’t know why but I love getting stuff for the crabs. For the chubby crab on Facebook do you just reply on her post if you want it. I have requested a small sample pack but I don’t know if commenting on her post is the right thing to do?

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Fri May 08, 2020 7:07 pm

The only Canadian place I have ordered from is Chubby Crabs. I sent her a message on Facebook, and then eTransferred her the money.

I feed a mix of fresh and dried foods, lots of stuff just from what we are eating especially in summer when our garden is in full swing. I have bought some things in larger supply, like a big box of green sand (from Amazon), and dried shrimp (single ingredient, sold in the turtle section of the pet store in the nearest city). Also, the moose weren't in our yard this winter, so I could not collect poop. But I heard of a farm a few miles from us who had a bunch of them....so the little boys are on a mission to collect me some poop. I am afraid I might have a bulk supply in the near future!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Fri May 08, 2020 7:13 pm

I sent her a Facebook message as well. I just sent a message asking her if I could place an order and she’ll ask you what you want. She is so helpful and super nice.

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Fri May 08, 2020 8:10 pm

curlysister wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 7:07 pm
....so the little boys are on a mission to collect me some poop. I am afraid I might have a bulk supply in the near future!
Hopefully you don't have to pay by the Nugget! :o

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Fri May 08, 2020 9:38 pm

LOL. I am trying to figure out what would be fair 'payment' for little boys picking up moose poop for me!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers