Worms For My Viola Hermit Crab

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
jonathon1989

Post by jonathon1989 » Wed May 20, 2020 3:27 pm

Any recommendations for worms or other dried out protein based foods? Ive seen them in stores but I'm not sure if they're safe for hermit crabs. I have a viola hermit crab who seems to be less interested in plant based food.

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Worms For My Viola Hermit Crab

Post by JoeHermits » Wed May 20, 2020 4:02 pm

Just about every dried out animal in the store is safe for hermit crabs. Mine like mealworms for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Wed May 20, 2020 8:11 pm

I know that [mention]RiNiKy506 [/mention]’s go through a mound of fresh bloodworms. They’re protein machines, so pretty much anything you want to offer them they will probably love!

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Wed May 20, 2020 8:36 pm

Yeah my violas love meats! I can put in a whole section in my flower food dish of bloodworms and they’ll eat it all, I can fill it again in the middle of the night and they’d eat it all again! They are meat protein eating machines! Large red shrimp, jumbo krill, plankton, beef liver, beef lung, salmon, salmon skins, other fish, and more things I’m probably not thinking of at the moment, they love meats.
Edit to add: there is a place on eBay that I got them and they’re very fresh bloodworms, etc. I’ve never seen them go too crazy over the little fish food can bloodworms. I forget what the store is, I will look it up for you and add back to this post.
I’m sorry I forgot, I had got the bloodworms on Amazon and then found the same company on eBay and that’s when I bought the plankton and others.
Here is a link to the same company that had the bloodworms for plankton & others
https://www.ebay.com/itm/232658376115

Here is the link to the bloodworms on Amazon but they are currently unavailable.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BGE73GM

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu May 21, 2020 10:17 am

Hikari brand freeze-dried are always a good quality. San Francisco Bay brand is another great one, and their bulk prices are wildly cheap. I used to divy those up and sell them. Omega One, too.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Thu May 21, 2020 1:58 pm

wodesorel wrote:Hikari brand freeze-dried are always a good quality. San Francisco Bay brand is another great one, and their bulk prices are wildly cheap. I used to divy those up and sell them. Omega One, too.
Thank you for the other good brand suggestions bc these guys are going through this bag so fast. The little fish food can thing I had was terrible, I don’t ever remember them eating them like this. I almost did buy the San Fransisco bay brand.

Topic author
jonathon1989

Post by jonathon1989 » Thu May 21, 2020 3:03 pm

So much great information! Thank you everyone!

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:26 pm

Excellent! I need to get more plankton, blood worms, and silkworm pupae! I found a good one for the silkworms just haven’t ordered yet. Gotta get on that for sure! Thanks everyone!