Greensand

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Greensand

Post by curlysister » Sun May 24, 2020 12:57 pm

Another issue with getting parcels shipped from the US to Canada is that Canadian Customs will sometimes add duty to things. As an example, I ordered silicone rings from a company in the US. The rings came to about $100 US and shipping was free (my sister and her family and I combined our order so we had enough for free shipping). The first order got lost, so they sent a second order to replace it...but eventually both orders did arrive. One of the orders had no duty, but the other one had $27 added. I asked the post office, and she said it seems to be random as to when or if they add duty.
And add to that, the 100US is about $140 Canadian, because our dollar isn't great right now.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sun May 24, 2020 9:38 pm

Motörcrab wrote:Yea, It's crazy. With having 5 tanks and around 40 crabs they can really go through foods. A small pack of greensand from a store will only last us 2-3 weeks if we offer it frequently. We had to go to buying bulk because we had to save some money.

After I posted last night I did some playings around on the USPS site with international shipping. If it was correct I could mail something 2 lbs, just under 1 kg, in a box for $20.75 to Regina, Saskatchewan. The same box going to Plentywood, Montana (closest US City to Regina due south) was $12.60.

We were having issues with postage calculations on our Etsy. At first it was too low and we're loosing $0.40 - $0.80 per sale. When we adjusted it slightly the shipping was way overpriced and had to refund $1-$4 depending on what was purchased. I would love to offer international but that could be extremely costly if the pricing was off.

Last fall I ordered a dozen Turbo Cornutus shells form Indonesia. I checked a few places here and weren't available in the US. Shipping here was like $35. They were all larger shells 1-1/4 openings or larger. Even with shipping they averaged out to $6 per shell. So I figured it wasn't much more expensive. We still haven't had any takers for them either!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
I'm adopting 4 crabs tomorrow (that will give me a total of 8), so now I'm thinking I might just go with the 5 lb box/bag. At least I'll be prepared lol.

Calculating shipping costs can def be tricky. A few years back I sold a couple of new/gently used things I had around the house on ebay. I was horrible at figuring out shipping. I either lost money, or broke even. Image

That's a shame your crabbies didn't take to the turbos from Indonesia. Don't they know what we go through and the money we spend to get them fancy houses???!! Image

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Topic author
CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sun May 24, 2020 9:40 pm

GotButterflies wrote:IMO, Greensand is something you want to offer your crabs at all times - it won't hurt you to have a lifetime supply. My crabs live in their dishes. Plus - it is great for your plants! :)
I think you're right! I'm always catching my crab Kaulder in the greensand dish. I think I've replaced it 3 times in under 2 weeks. I wonder what makes it taste so good? Haha Image

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-

Topic author
CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sun May 24, 2020 9:42 pm

curlysister wrote:Another issue with getting parcels shipped from the US to Canada is that Canadian Customs will sometimes add duty to things. As an example, I ordered silicone rings from a company in the US. The rings came to about $100 US and shipping was free (my sister and her family and I combined our order so we had enough for free shipping). The first order got lost, so they sent a second order to replace it...but eventually both orders did arrive. One of the orders had no duty, but the other one had $27 added. I asked the post office, and she said it seems to be random as to when or if they add duty.
And add to that, the 100US is about $140 Canadian, because our dollar isn't great right now.
That's so strange! I checked USPS.com, and it said duty didn't apply to packages/items valued under $20. But from what you said, it sounds like the postal system makes it up as they go.