How to find a food they like

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
Hermielover121

How to find a food they like

Post by Hermielover121 » Tue May 26, 2020 9:41 pm

I have been posting so much in these last months I joined, sorry just have so many questions about these amazing and cute crabs. Anyways I want to find something that my hermit crabs actually like to eat. I have been trying a lot of different things but the only think that I can see they ate is some crushed almonds which they gobbled down. What do your crabs love and will eat. I am trying to find something so that every time I take there food out it does not look the same as when I put it in. I have tried hunny they kinda liked it, carrots they never ever touched them, lettuce they through it out, chicken they ripped it apart and soooo much more but they never really touch it. Any things you guys would recommend. Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Motörcrab

Re: How to find a food they like

Post by Motörcrab » Tue May 26, 2020 10:26 pm

Sometimes it takes crabs several offerings to try new foods. They only eat a little bit so it's hard to actually tell if they are eating if you serve big portions. Perhaps offering smaller portions will help you see what they are eating.

Ours love fresh fruits and dehydrated. Apples, pears, bananas, blueberries and strawberries to name a few. They also love single ingredient organic spaghetti. Crickets, shrimp, mussels, beef lung, pinkies are usually devoured. Worm castings, bat guano, chicken manure, oyster shells, crab and lobster exo, hibiscus, rose buds, red clover, calendula, Jasmine flowers, catappa, birch, oak, and burning bush leaves are a big hits with our crabs too.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Tue May 26, 2020 10:34 pm

Ok thanks I want to find some flowers in my garden that I can feed. I will check if there is anything sprayed there and I will send a photo when I get home to see if any of them are safe.

Topic author
Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Tue May 26, 2020 10:35 pm

Oh also how do you give The spaghetti do you cook it like boil it in water and then wait till it cools and give it to them or do you give it uncooked and just crush it?

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Tue May 26, 2020 11:01 pm

We offer the crabs spaghetti whenever we cook it. Just boilil water and don't add any salt into the water. After it's cooked we add organic coconut oil to it.

Check our care guides for the safe food list. It will give you plenty of ideas for flowers and other items!
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Tue May 26, 2020 11:02 pm

Thanks

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue May 26, 2020 11:34 pm

Your crabs might be eating such small amounts that you don't think they are eating. I swear that for the first two years I had my crabs, the only way I knew they must be eating is that they did not die. It seemed like I put in and took out exactly the same amount of food. Just keep offering foods from the food pyramid, and trust that they are getting the nutrition they need.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers