Common Spicebush

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
CrabbyLover77

Common Spicebush

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:41 pm

Is common spicebush safe for crabs? It looks like I have a couple of them growing under my deck. I used a couple of plant identification apps, and it said the plant is most likely common spicebush.

Thanks! ImageImage

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

My Pets: 1 Pomeranian, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 4 hermit crabs.
"Animals are my friends, and I don’t eat my friends".
-George Bernard Shaw

JoeHermits

Re: Common Spicebush

Post by JoeHermits » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:03 pm

Spicebush provide food for a variety of wildlife and are sometimes used in traditional medicines. I don’t think it would be harmful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:14 pm

If I am unsure about something, I err on the side of caution and avoid it. That is me though...
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:19 pm

Thanks JH and GB!
Maybe I will just leave it grow a bit for the birds. I read that birds love the berries that it grows, and butterflies like the flowers too. I was only thinking of picking it for the crabs so that the roots didn't grow into the deck posts. But as long as I trim it and keep it small, it hopefully won't be a problem.

My Pets: 1 Pomeranian, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 4 hermit crabs.
-George Bernard Shaw

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:23 pm

:butterfly:: YW :) You could always try it. It's up to you. Just because I wouldn't doesn't mean you don't have to!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:31 pm

GotButterflies wrote::butterfly:: YW :) You could always try it. It's up to you. Just because I wouldn't doesn't mean you don't have to!
I think the butterflies and birds might enjoy it more anyway. Image I have bird feeders in my yard, but why not give them something natural to munch on. Image
I also discovered a Filbert/Hazel tree in my front flower bed. I'm not 100% sure of which species, but the HCA lists says they're safe. I def have to pull that out because it's way too close to the house. Don't want the roots growing there either. So I can pluck all the leaves and dry them out for the crabbies instead. ImageImage

-George Bernard Shaw

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:38 pm

You could try fresh leaves too :)

Topic author
CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:40 pm

GotButterflies wrote:You could try fresh leaves too :)
I def will. Image Can you keep fresh leaves in the freezer to keep them longer? Or will they shrivel like being in the refridg after a while?

-George Bernard Shaw

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:57 pm

I'm not sure. I've never done that.

Topic author
CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:02 pm

Hmmm, I'll have to try it.

-George Bernard Shaw

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:45 pm

Blanching the leaves would make them look better and keep longer, but just freezing is okay if you don't mind them getting a little blackened like they would during a frost.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:11 am

wodesorel wrote:Blanching the leaves would make them look better and keep longer, but just freezing is okay if you don't mind them getting a little blackened like they would during a frost.
Thank you for the tip Wodesorel! Image

-George Bernard Shaw

Topic author
CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:24 pm

Update: Upon further inspection, I found small lobed leaves on this plant too. I took pics of that and the app says it's sassafras! I smelled that plant and compared it to my big sassafras tree, and the smell is the same. So it wasn't Spicebush after all lol!

-George Bernard Shaw

JoeHermits

Post by JoeHermits » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:42 pm

LOL I’ve been there! I’ve experience in habitat reconnaissance and evaluation and I still don’t identify every plant correctly the first time!

The key is to take lots of good pictures of the leaves, stems, berries, flowers, and buds so you have plenty to look at when you consult your guides later.

Topic author
CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:28 pm

JoeHermits wrote:LOL I’ve been there! I’ve experience in habitat reconnaissance and evaluation and I still don’t identify every plant correctly the first time!

The key is to take lots of good pictures of the leaves, stems, berries, flowers, and buds so you have plenty to look at when you consult your guides later.

Well at least you've made me not feel too bad lol!
The best part is, I have a Bachelor's degree in Natural Resources, and have taken plant ID courses. But in my defense, my concentration was in fish and wildlife conservation LOL!

I will def take more detailed pics from now on. I need to get out my tree ID book too instead of relying on Google/apps all the time. Image

-George Bernard Shaw