Not eating protein?

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
tayc1998

Not eating protein?

Post by tayc1998 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:57 pm

So i give my crabs a wide variety diet. Fruit, veggies, coconut, seaweaed, the works. But whenever i put in food that has meal worms and crickets, they dont really touch it. Ive found one dragged around a bit, but nothing obviously eaten. Any tips on what to give them? I have a nut medley on the way, but i know that may not be enough

Hermielover121

Re: Not eating protein?

Post by Hermielover121 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:59 pm

Try feeding chicken without spices or any other animal like that for example moose, beef and pig

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:06 pm

That sounds pretty typical of purple pinchers. They don’t eat a lot of meat, preferring instead a more plant-heavy diet.

Wlfwo

Post by Wlfwo » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:19 am

I found that if I grind the dried mealworms and crickets mine eat it better. I ended up running the whole bunch through my spice grinder.

Sent from my SM-J337A using Tapatalk

I can hear my 75g whispering from the barn.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:06 am

Have you tried any other proteins? Grasshoppers, earthworms, a pinky (purchase frozen then thaw it out), plain chicken, river shrimp, bloodworms, krill, lamb, beef, etc. There is such a wide range of proteins to try. They may be getting bored with just mealworms and crickets.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
tayc1998

Post by tayc1998 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:30 pm

GotButterflies wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:06 am
Have you tried any other proteins? Grasshoppers, earthworms, a pinky (purchase frozen then thaw it out), plain chicken, river shrimp, bloodworms, krill, lamb, beef, etc. There is such a wide range of proteins to try. They may be getting bored with just mealworms and crickets.
Ive tried shrimp, they didn't really seem to pick at that either. The crickets are new with a new food blend im trying. I'll definitely look at other protein sources though

asiankanye

Post by asiankanye » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:18 pm

i’ve found that taking raw meat like pork and beef from my freeezer and taking small bits of it works well with them.

craboloading

Post by craboloading » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:55 am

tayc1998 wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:57 pm
So i give my crabs a wide variety diet. Fruit, veggies, coconut, seaweaed, the works. But whenever i put in food that has meal worms and crickets, they dont really touch it. Ive found one dragged around a bit, but nothing obviously eaten. Any tips on what to give them? I have a nut medley on the way, but i know that may not be enough
Just wanted to post and say you aren't alone! I have 3 PP's and rarely notice them touching their animal based proteins. I still offer them daily and in a rotating variety, but it just isn't their favorite. Now they do love plant proteins. Think slivered almonds, flax seed meal, etc. It was a big adjustment for me as about a decade ago I had a crew of E's and raw meats was the one thing I always saw them go crazy for! I just offer my guys a variety and trust they meet their own unique nutritional needs.
3 PPs: Beacon the Two Pound Crab of Light and Purity & Scuttles the Shadow Crab of Darkness and Desparity ~ 2/10/19 and Felicity Crab-19 ~ 5/24/20
1 Orange Cat: Chloe Hannah ~ 4/2015

avenuegirl

Post by avenuegirl » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:44 pm

I take a boiled egg and whack it in half shell on and all. They go nuts and even try to hoard it from the others.

Very easy to see where they've been nibbling on it.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

FJrocks003

Post by FJrocks003 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:42 pm

tayc1998 wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:30 pm
Ive tried shrimp, they didn't really seem to pick at that either. The crickets are new with a new food blend im trying. I'll definitely look at other protein sources though
Try bloodworms. I used to have the same problem with my pps but after a lot of trying out new things, I discovered that they love bloodworms. Could just be mine but it's worth a try.
Indigo, Fleck, Flame, Dilly, and our newest addition: Thunder
RIP: Bubbles (passed on Wednesday March 31, 2020)