Food for crabs?

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
Pannslo

Food for crabs?

Post by Pannslo » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:34 am

Hi all, I'm new here. My hermit crabs have been spending a lot of time battling each other (even though there's tons of empty shells) and are spending way too much time on my SPS's. Can I feed them some flowers? I delivery flowers Russia and some times I have flowers which I didn't sell, can I feed the, my crab?

This is a new thing since the post-leak rebuild. Guessing the substrate is a bit too clean for them now and they're getting hungry. Anyone have suggestions for a tablet or something to get some food in their belly's? I feed pellets, flake and Rod's - but not so much where the fish leave a ton for the crabs - yet I don't want to dump TOO much in just to feed them too.
Last edited by Pannslo on Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

curlysister

Re: Food for crabs?

Post by curlysister » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:54 am

Hi, crabs can eat many of the same things as we can. They need protein and calcium sources daily.
Here is the care sheet about nutrition.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=92554

Pellets and commercial foods often contain harmful additives and aren't considered a good long term option. Here is the care sheet that explains why most commercial foods aren't appropriate:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=92555
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Motörcrab

Re: Food for crabs?

Post by Motörcrab » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:57 pm

If you are looking for different food options check out our resource page. There are a lot of awesome vendors on Etsy that cater to hermit crab nutrition! They have some awesome single ingredient items and mixes! We purchase about 75% of our crabs food from there!

viewtopic.php?f=122&t=119315
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities