Fussy eater! ?

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
DobbyTheFreeCrab

Fussy eater! ?

Post by DobbyTheFreeCrab » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:59 pm

Hello!
I have had my Dobby (purple pincher?) since February (I previously cared for him at a public aquarium that I worked at and took him home with me when I left as they were doing a new exhibit where his enclosure was).
He is a very fussy eater, he goes crazy for carrot whenever I put it in there, but usually ignores any other food. He sometimes eats things like chicken and fish (not every time I offer it) but seems to ignore almost everything else - especially leafy greens. I've tried him on alsorts of things, including spinach, watercress, pepper, cucumber, various fruit, prawn, other meats and whatever else I can find in the fridge. I also grate cuttlefish bone over the food to keep his calcium up (he won't eat it in chunks).
I try to withhold carrot from him to force him to eat other things, but he will go days/a week or more before I give in to make sure he's eating.
I know they can go a while without eating when moulting (he was underground for about a month and a half soon after I got him) but I don't want to risk it.

Does anybody else have a fussy crab, and have any tips on encouraging them to eat??

Thanks!

DUDE

Re: Fussy eater! ?

Post by DUDE » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:38 am

are you sure Dobby isn't just eating at night? Hermit crabs do consume a pretty tiny amount of food, sometimes its barely even noticeable! If you're really worried however, you could try feeding some strong smelling foods(one of my crabs fave) popcorn or dry shredded coconut. The only way I can truly tell my smaller hermies are eating is that they're still alive even if there seems to be no difference in the food bowl. I've heard of people smoothing out the substrate around the food dish at night and checking back in the morning for track marks. If they are present, I don't think there is a need to worry so you could try that to check if Dobby is eating or not first. Hope this helps:)

DUDE

Post by DUDE » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:38 am

are you sure Dobby isn't just eating at night? Hermit crabs do consume a pretty tiny amount of food, sometimes its barely even noticeable! If you're really worried however, you could try feeding some strong smelling foods(one of my crabs fave) popcorn or dry shredded coconut. The only way I can truly tell my smaller hermies are eating is that they're still alive even if there seems to be no difference in the food bowl. I've heard of people smoothing out the substrate around the food dish at night and checking back in the morning for track marks. If they are present, I don't think there is a need to worry so you could try that to check if Dobby is eating or not first. Hope this helps:)

Topic author
DobbyTheFreeCrab

Post by DobbyTheFreeCrab » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:52 am

Thanks for the feedback! He definitely eats during the night, sometimes it's really obvious that he's eaten (specifically the carrot coz it is all gone!) but sometimes the bowl hasn't been touched.
He must be eating something when I withhold carrot, or like you say he wouldn't be alive! I will try some more varieties of food and see what else he likes.

Thanks again for the help :)