New to feeding

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
aspearson

New to feeding

Post by aspearson » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:46 am

I have been looking at the list of acceptable foods for hermit crabs but I am having trouble figuring out what foods they should get the most of and which should be more of an occasional treat. I got my first crab yesterday from a beach before I thought to do any research about them. I am working on setting up the new tank and should be able to move him in tomorrow. I have the food that came with him and we have some peaches in our house but that is basically it (we got home from the beach today and a beach shop was where I got him). I also have a bottle of freeze dried meal worms coming Monday and I am going to order either freeze dried river shrimp or freeze dried brine shrimp (not sure if there is any difference between the two). I am ordering a bag of freeze dried fruit and am wondering if I should also get freeze dried vegetables. I plan to supplement the freeze dried stuff with fresh stuff but I have to quarantine for the next 14 days so my options may be limited for a while. What food group should they get the most of; proteins, fruits or vegetables? I've seen that a lot of crabs like popcorn, would that be more of an occasional snack? Also, if I give him egg shells for the calcium do they need to be from hard boiled eggs or should I throw the shells in the oven after taking the egg out or are they fine with the little bit of raw egg? I would assume they have to be cooked in some way to kill any bacteria but you know what they say about assuming. If you think of any other questions I might be missing I would love to hear those too, I just want to give my little guy the best life I can (including getting him a buddy once I am done quarantining). Thanks for any help people can give.

DUDE

Re: New to feeding

Post by DUDE » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:43 am

http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 25&t=92554
This is the guide that I follow (Theres a food pyramid inside) do check it out if you havent read it already:)

Topic author
aspearson

Re: New to feeding

Post by aspearson » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:00 am

DUDE wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:43 am
http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 25&t=92554
This is the guide that I follow (Theres a food pyramid inside) do check it out if you havent read it already:)
Thank you, I hadn't seen that yet and that is very helpful