mixed opinions on foods?

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
crabs_lex

mixed opinions on foods?

Post by crabs_lex » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:34 am

I was looking at the guides to nutrition on here and also the safe foods list because I am trying to ensure my hermies have a complete and balanced diet. And for example, tuna is on the safe food list and I also found it on the nutrition guide. Then I saw a post saying that lots of you guys chose not to feed your guys tuna. So I am curious if there are other foods that are considered safe and on the lists but you chose not to feed them to your crabs. Like any controversial foods I should look out for. And is there anyone that does feed their crabs tuna?

CrabbyLover77

Re: mixed opinions on foods?

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:56 am

I've fed my crabs tuna. I got those little strips of tuna that are packaged for cats and sold by Fancy Feast. They didn't seem to be that interested in it so I haven't bought it again. I also buy the Pure Bites dog and cat freeze dried treats for them. They like the salmon, ocean medley, lamb, duck, chicken, and minnows.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Topic author
crabs_lex

Post by crabs_lex » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:58 am

okay thank you :)
do you know of any controversial foods like the tuna that are on the safe food list but some chose not to feed?

Topic author
crabs_lex

Post by crabs_lex » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:57 pm

also can someone tell me if they know the most updated and correct hermit crab nutritional guide is because the one posted on there is from like 2008 and i was wondering if there is a more updated one becasue there are things on there that people disagree with.
also does anyone have a reccamended feading guide becasue the one on here says calcium doesn't need to be offered every single and i have heard others say that calcium is one of the most important thinhs in a crab diet

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:32 pm

crabs_lex wrote:okay thank you :)
do you know of any controversial foods like the tuna that are on the safe food list but some chose not to feed?
You're welcome! Image
I think it was JoeHermits, not sure, that tried feeding their crabs garlic. It made the tank smell and the crabs didn't really eat it.

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:33 pm

I am the other way around. I have fed foods that are not of the safe list, without realizing it until after! LOL!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:46 pm

curlysister wrote:I am the other way around. I have fed foods that are not of the safe list, without realizing it until after! LOL!
Lol! Image

DUDE

Post by DUDE » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:22 am

In not exactly sure but I heard that recently that it is now recommended that we should not feed hermit crabs honey because some ppl realised that there is nothing called a 'healing food' because any food fed to the crabs are beneficial. According to the updated care guide I read, honey can coat crab gills and legs clogging them and making them sticky, and it's just better to not feed at all even in small amounts. Is this information true? Personally I haven't really fed my crabs much honey so I'm not sure.

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:57 am

DUDE wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:22 am
In not exactly sure but I heard that recently that it is now recommended that we should not feed hermit crabs honey because some ppl realised that there is nothing called a 'healing food' because any food fed to the crabs are beneficial. According to the updated care guide I read, honey can coat crab gills and legs clogging them and making them sticky, and it's just better to not feed at all even in small amounts. Is this information true? Personally I haven't really fed my crabs much honey so I'm not sure.
I have seen the honey change in another group. I can honestly see the argument from both sides of the argument with honey. I personally think if given as a drop or mixed with another food in tiny quantities it isn't as dangerous. That's just my opinion though.

The healing food is another one that I feel is debatable. Some foods are a lot more nutritious per serving compared to others. Those could technically be considered better healing. I believe in offering a mixed diet of everything at all times in order to them all of the time. As long as the crab is getting all the nutrition it needs it should be healing. They pick what they need. I don't know of any foods labeled as Healing foods for human consumption. Possibly chicken soup. Why would it be any different for a hermit crab?

To quote Mitch Hedburg, " Any book is a children's book, if the kid can read!"
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:17 pm

I don't like calling them healing foods, more like a food boost, but there are a few things that are nutrient loaded and easy for weakened crabs to eat.

Honey and peanut butter are the ones we always talk about because people usually have them on hand, they are loaded with fast acting calories, they pack a lot of nutrients, and they are super easy for a crab to eat since they are smooth. A quick caloric carb-laden meal can sometimes boost the crabs enough to get them eating normally again. It's the same idea as using pedialyte for sick kids, or Karo syrup for crashing kittens and puppies.

Different foods have different levels of nutrition as well. Bee pollen has 40 different vitamins and minerals as well as being loaded with both protein and carbs. Coconut has beneficial oils and fats as well as vitamins. Some things are just better packed with what crabs need, and when you have a crab not wanting to eat, getting the best possible nutrition in them is what is important. Like, I would never recommend apples or broccoli or flower petals for a crab that is seriously struggling. Any energy he has left needs go towards eating things that will boost him the most!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

C_fiesta

Post by C_fiesta » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:16 pm

wodesorel wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:17 pm
I don't like calling them healing foods, more like a food boost, but there are a few things that are nutrient loaded and easy for weakened crabs to eat.

Honey and peanut butter are the ones we always talk about because people usually have them on hand, they are loaded with fast acting calories, they pack a lot of nutrients, and they are super easy for a crab to eat since they are smooth. A quick caloric carb-laden meal can sometimes boost the crabs enough to get them eating normally again. It's the same idea as using pedialyte for sick kids, or Karo syrup for crashing kittens and puppies.

Different foods have different levels of nutrition as well. Bee pollen has 40 different vitamins and minerals as well as being loaded with both protein and carbs. Coconut has beneficial oils and fats as well as vitamins. Some things are just better packed with what crabs need, and when you have a crab not wanting to eat, getting the best possible nutrition in them is what is important. Like, I would never recommend apples or broccoli or flower petals for a crab that is seriously struggling. Any energy he has left needs go towards eating things that will boost him the most!
I completely agree with this rationale.

IMHO the anti-honey movement is a bit too fear driven and illogical for me. We're not bathing crabs in it! But I understand wanting to be cautious.
Hey! I'm Christine! I have 5 hermit crabs. Join me on Instagram @christinescrabcare. Also, checkout my Etsy shop www.etsy.com/shop/christinescrabcare

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:33 am

C_fiesta wrote: I completely agree with this rationale.

IMHO the anti-honey movement is a bit too fear driven and illogical for me. We're not bathing crabs in it! But I understand wanting to be cautious.
I think it's also a lack of understanding of their anatomy. Can't shake the feeling people are picturing them having fish gills! I've necropsied dead crabs before, their gills are so much closer to lungs at this point in their evolution, they are covered over by exoskeleton and their body, and they cannot be coated in anything.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:13 am

I can see using caution with honey. Using several drops compared to offering a bowl a crab could fall into. As long as their caregiver uses common sense with any food there shouldn't be any major concerns. I offer nutritional yeast for our crabs, I don't recall that being on either list. I could be mistaken.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:33 pm

I'll have to check. I thought brewers yeast was. The nutritional yeast movement is newer than the lists.

Who would really offer a giant bowl of honey though? It just doesn't make any sense because it's not how people feed honey. They drizzle it on other foods, or put in a popcap or small shell full. You'd have to add a ramiken full to the top with honey in order to drown a crab in it, and in that case any type of liquid or viscous food would be just as harmful.

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:32 pm

I don’t see any form of yeast on the Safe List, though I don’t see why they couldn’t be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk