Are coconut and strawberries must-haves?

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
Minyassa

Are coconut and strawberries must-haves?

Post by Minyassa » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:00 am

I've been thinking about getting some crabs. I had them as a very young child and have fond, if dim, memories. But I've been researching care, and two problematic things keep coming up in the favorite foods lists--coconut and strawberries. I am deathly allergic to both of these things, which means a lot of commercial food mixes would be off limits to me and I'd most likely have to be putting together my own mixes. That's not a big deal, I've done critter diets before (we had iguanas for years), but since both of those foods are on the favorites lists, what I need to know is will my crabs be *unhappy* without those two things. I can't handle them, prepare them, or even risk having them in my home, my allergy is that sensitive.

So my question is: Can crabs be happy without coconut and strawberries if I give them other things they love, or should I just look at other pets? I don't want to deprive them if they need those foods to thrive.

HappyHermit0916

Re: Are coconut and strawberries must-haves?

Post by HappyHermit0916 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:25 am

Minyassa wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:00 am
I've been thinking about getting some crabs. I had them as a very young child and have fond, if dim, memories. But I've been researching care, and two problematic things keep coming up in the favorite foods lists--coconut and strawberries. I am deathly allergic to both of these things, which means a lot of commercial food mixes would be off limits to me and I'd most likely have to be putting together my own mixes. That's not a big deal, I've done critter diets before (we had iguanas for years), but since both of those foods are on the favorites lists, what I need to know is will my crabs be *unhappy* without those two things. I can't handle them, prepare them, or even risk having them in my home, my allergy is that sensitive.

So my question is: Can crabs be happy without coconut and strawberries if I give them other things they love, or should I just look at other pets? I don't want to deprive them if they need those foods to thrive.
Well, commercial pellets are TOXIC to hermit crabs so you can make mixes that exclude the ingredients that you are allergic to! :crabbigsmile:
Last edited by HappyHermit0916 on Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
29 gallon crabitat and 20 gallon long crabitat
My hermit crab YouTube channel: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCJWuO8Urh5X94yipfRNiVRA
RIP Lola, the best hermit crab
Love you Reynie, Piper, Opal, Ridley, and Jasper

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:47 am

As long as you supplement their diet with other fruits, that would be fine. My crabs tend to snub fresh fruit, but will eat dehydrated/freeze dried/powdered fruits. You can experiment to see what they like. Mine happen to like flaked coconut, but it's not a required food, especially if you are allergic.
Check out the safe foods list here in the HCA. There's all kinds of other fruits you can try! Image

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic? ... source=app

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:25 am

HappyHermit0916 wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:25 am
Well, commercial pellets are TOXIC to hermit crabs so you need to do ur own mixes weather or not you are allergic to those foods :crabbigsmile:
This is absolutely incorrect.
You do NOT need to give crabs strawberries or coconut, ever. You do NOT need to make your own 'mixes' that include any ingredients that you are allergic to.

Hermit crabs need a varied diet, but there are LOTS of foods to choose from. Your crabs can absolutely be happy and healthy without either strawberries or coconut. I have offered fresh strawberries when they are in season from my garden, but have never in the ten years I have had them, given them coconut.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:08 pm

Depending on how severe the coconut allergies are, you may also need to avoid cocofiber, eco-earth, coco husk, plantation soil, bed-a-beast, hermit crab soil, etc. All of these are ground up coconut husk! Funny, I cannot use any of the bedding products because of allergies, but have zero issues with actual coconut.

Always check ingredients as well on foods. Coconut does make up a huge portion of wild crab's diets, but they don't have to have it in captivity so long as they get a good variety of foods and fruits. It is in a LOT if products for them though!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

HappyHermit0916

Post by HappyHermit0916 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:09 pm

curlysister wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:25 am
This is absolutely incorrect.
You do NOT need to give crabs strawberries or coconut, ever. You do NOT need to make your own 'mixes' that include any ingredients that you are allergic to.

Hermit crabs need a varied diet, but there are LOTS of foods to choose from. Your crabs can absolutely be happy and healthy without either strawberries or coconut. I have offered fresh strawberries when they are in season from my garden, but have never in the ten years I have had them, given them coconut.
That is not at all what I meant!
They mentioned making there own mixes and I meant that they could make mixes with ingredients that they were not allergic to!
Sorry for the misunderstanding :crabbigsmile:
29 gallon crabitat and 20 gallon long crabitat
My hermit crab YouTube channel: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCJWuO8Urh5X94yipfRNiVRA
RIP Lola, the best hermit crab
Love you Reynie, Piper, Opal, Ridley, and Jasper

Topic author
Minyassa

Post by Minyassa » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:41 am

Thank you all very much! I don't remember having the crabs for years when I was a little kid, so they probably were not very well taken care of. :( I want to do them right this time. :)