Fruit jelly question

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
lopgoat

Fruit jelly question

Post by lopgoat » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:36 pm

So at the pet store today, I found these 70 cent little coffee creamer pot sized food items called "Komodo Jelly Pot"
I bought it on impulse because honestly, its small and cute and I thought hey why not its cheap.
But I just wanted to make 100% SURE that its completely safe for my hermits since i am fairly new to owning hermit crabs and am very cautious on everything lol

The ingredients are: Water, Sugar, Fructose, carrageenan, agar-agar, glycine (amino acid), Apple juice from concentrate, titanium dioxide (color), FD&C yellow no. 5 (color), FD&C yellow no. 6 (color), FD&C red no.40 (color), FD&C blue no.1 (color), Citric Acid, sodium citrate, artificial melon, strawberry, mango, banana flavor.

Sorry if that was a mouthful! I just want the best for my shelled children, even if its just a tiny snack! :)

and if its not safe, would anyone possibly know if its safe for a leopard gecko? :o
Extremely new hermitcrab father. Just trying to do whats best for my shelly children!

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Fruit jelly question

Post by curlysister » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:34 pm

Personally, I would not be comfortable with all the added colors and artificial flavors. And it would have very little nutritional value, given that the first three ingredients and sugar and water.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
lopgoat

Post by lopgoat » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:25 pm

curlysister wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:34 pm
Personally, I would not be comfortable with all the added colors and artificial flavors. And it would have very little nutritional value, given that the first three ingredients and sugar and water.
Ah ok! Ill use it for my leopard gecko and give my hermits an apple slice instead :)
Extremely new hermitcrab father. Just trying to do whats best for my shelly children!

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:12 am

I would probably avoid giving that to your gecko too. Geckos are more advanced than hermit crabs with their anatomy. Like Curly mentioned it wouldn't have much if any nutritional value for the gecko or any other animal.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:57 pm

Leopard geckos eat insects exclusively. They do not and can not eat fruits or veggies or anything else!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram