Crabby Cookbook

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
burnin4Christ

Crabby Cookbook

Post by burnin4Christ » Sat May 05, 2007 1:04 pm

What do ya'll think about making a cookbook for crabs? I was thinking that we could have 1 or 2 people{who live close} to volunteer to organize it. Everyone would send in recipes to them. Maybe after its done we could get it published? Of course anyone who wanted a copy would get one :)

Post by Guest » Sat May 05, 2007 2:14 pm

Oooh. Love the idea. I'd totally buy a cookbook too.

I want to help organize, but my computer is reaching menopause (hotflashes and moodswings) and I just can't trust it right now with storage and accessibility.

We could have different categories:

Kibbles (the dry blends you make in bulk so you don't have to cook every night)
  • Everyday
    Molting
    Special Treats
Fresh blends
High Color foods
Healthy Molter foods
Exotic Treats
And (for Julia_Crab) the gourmet-almost-wish-I-was-eating-this-well-section
Plus a list of required nutrients and the foods that are high in them

Post by Guest » Sat May 05, 2007 3:16 pm

This IS a great idea and I would so buy one. I am still working on tweaking everything to make sure I care of my babies right. This cookbook would help tremendously!

Post by Guest » Sat May 05, 2007 4:00 pm

Great Idea!

Topic author
burnin4Christ

Post by burnin4Christ » Sat May 05, 2007 8:06 pm

Crustine I LOVE your idea on how to arrange it!I don't know if my commputer would be up to store that much stuff but probally.

Kilimanjaro

Post by Kilimanjaro » Sat May 05, 2007 9:39 pm

This is a really good idea. I would definitely buy one! It would help all new crabbers with different nutrients and good natural meals. Plus, we could even include a section explaining the benefits of each nutrient.

I would definitely offer some different ideas!

brad873

Post by brad873 » Sun May 06, 2007 5:18 am

good idea, i put a post on hear and a lot of people have some good creations you can use

Post by Guest » Sun May 06, 2007 11:02 am

Great idea! I would definitely buy it! Great arrangement too, crustine! :D

Post by Guest » Sun May 06, 2007 12:32 pm

That sound so 8) I would love to buy one. would have to ask my parents fist.( :roll: )

Post by Guest » Sun May 06, 2007 7:25 pm

Okay, Someone must have experience in this sort of thing.

Should we open a special email address for recipies and cookbook suggestions?

Would it make sense to have a website? or maybe a blog?

Can we set up something where people can print recipies (thereby using their own paper and toner) and suggest people make a PayPal donation to this website? The recipies could have a standard format that people could print and file in a binder if they wanted a physical book, but we could update and add recipes without worrying about reprinting.

I am such an idea person, but I have no web design or development skill whatsoever. Is there a geek out there who has the tech savvy?

It sounds like I have just voluteered myself for the committee. :oops:

Post by Guest » Sun May 06, 2007 7:38 pm

Okay, I just checked out http://www.epicureanhermit.com (which I believe to be Julia_crab's website) and she already has 126 recipies.

I sent her an email to see if she has any ideas. Hmm...maybe a million dollar book deal?

Anyway, let's get some brainstorming happening.

Post by Guest » Sun May 06, 2007 7:45 pm

oooh this sounds like a really good idea! It'd really raise some hermit crab awareness about how commercial foods aren't the best food choice for hermit crabs if we publish it. It would also be a good idea to add a little article in the beginning of the cookbook about how some commercial foods aren't the healthiest thing to feed a crab. A little section for us to debunk some food rumors would be nice too.

Post by Guest » Sun May 06, 2007 9:54 pm

I know the epicurean hermit site has recipies, but I still like this idea a lot. Either the real book idea, or just a website. If you need any help at all with design, I'll volunteer. I can do illustrations, graphic design, stuff like that. I would volunteer for the web design too if you can't find anyone else. It's just that I only know basic HTML and basic Dreamweaver, so it's better than nothing but there may be another more advanced web person who may wish to volunteer out there.

HERMEZ

Post by HERMEZ » Mon May 07, 2007 5:28 am

The HCAddiction site already has a cookbook with people recipes shared in it. Maybe you can add to theirs as a 2nd edition type of thing??????
CrAbBy aNd PrOuD
2 PP's~2 Violas~1 Blueberry~2 Indos~1 Ruggie
crabbin since 2005.

Topic author
burnin4Christ

Post by burnin4Christ » Mon May 07, 2007 8:31 am

Maybe we could do a childrens cookbook for the crabs?? I 've seen them in stores before{people food not crabby food!}