Safe Food List from EH

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Safe Food List from EH

Post by wodesorel » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:07 pm

Hermycrabitat21 wrote:what about caterpillars?
If harvested from outside it's generally not safe as as most caterpillars can eat plants that are toxic to other creatures including hermit crabs. If you don't know what they've been eating they could possibly kill whatever eats them.

If you're talking about "Superworms" or other farmed caterpillars, then they're safe! :) Been dying to try them myself, but none of the stores carry them around here. The caterpillars are raised on a safe diet so there is no harm in feeding them.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Hermycrabitat21

Post by Hermycrabitat21 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:34 pm

awsome, my petco just got those nasty Can-O-Pillars in and iv been a but curious, although my crew didnt go nuts over the snails so im a but hesitant...
y dont you try ordering online?
Started Crabin December 2010, Currently as of 11/2018 I have 12 PP's & 1 E.
Crabs leave pincher prints on our hearts<3

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:47 pm

I've read reviews of the smells coming off those can-o-things. No way am I trying those. *ick* :lol:

I thought you mean the live ones - those I would have no problems with, but it would be too expensive to order just a couple online. I keep wondering if I should post on my pet shop's Facebook page that I want some and see if there are others would buy too if she got them in (which is how I got my roaches), but I don't want to hassle to her again. :oops:

Hermycrabitat21

Post by Hermycrabitat21 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:54 pm

well i havent even tried to smell them i hold my nose when ever i open it... so i dont exactly know..
the live ones i have no idea where i could even get those.. but i would love to try live, but everyfood i get for them i need to get in small quanaties because they really dont eat alot and i wind up wasting alot of it.
what pet store do u go to? a small mom and pop store?

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:15 pm

Truly a mom and pop - It's her and her husband, and her young kids. :lol: (And she's younger than me!) She sells crickets and mealworms (beetle larvae) by the dozen and always has those in stock. She'll often have big mealworms, and when she can get them in safely she'll have waxworms (a type of caterpillar - too hot and they die on the trip). She's had the roaches once, and will vary rarely have silkworms (another caterpillar) since they're hard to keep alive. It just depends where she's ordering from, but being able to get a variety of things locally is nice. :)

I'm also on the hunt for Phoenix worms, Calci worms, or Soldier Grubs. All are names for soldier fly maggots. Their calcium content is astronomical! And they're supposed to stay in larvae form for a long time, so they make a great food. Not many places carrying them yet. (Wonder why? :lol: )

Most pet shops will have at the very least crickets and mealworms. (And one crab will tear through a dozen live mealworms in a few minutes.) The other stuff is a bit harder to find and if you have a shop that specializes in reptiles they'll be much more likely to carry these types of things! I would ask an employee or call the store and see what they carry - they may not have it in the front of the store as it's gross looking and often more sensitive to temps and disturbance. You may need to Google whatever name they give you as well - there are so many different "pretty" names for feeder worms! (ie, Hornworms are called "Goliath Worms")

Hermycrabitat21

Post by Hermycrabitat21 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:30 pm

Truly a mom and pop - It's her and her husband, and her young kids. (And she's younger than me!)
lol i dont even know how old you are! :hlol:

well as you may know i work at petco, so im always there and can get the mealworms, crickets and calciworms. we also have wax worms, flightless flies, and earthworms, and night crawlers. but i know my mom would go nuts if she ever sees anything live in our fridge, which is why i always look for the freeze-dried ( thanks you hermitcrabaddiction store! )
honestly im always kind of hesitant to try my crabs on some things and iv found most of my crew to be "picky", how can they be picky?? :roll:

TheGreenOne

Post by TheGreenOne » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:38 pm

What about these?
Peppers
Pasta(cooked and not cooked: no butter or salt)
Salami

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
Yoshi
Bowser
Peek-a-Boo
Mallow
Tiny
Mini
Simba

My wonderful Purple Pincher Colony<3

tnt4eva

Post by tnt4eva » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:43 pm

Peppers are OK. Pasta is ok - I've never fed it to mine cooked as they will happily eat it uncooked. I give them whole wheat pasta. Salami is a definite no - too many additives.

TheGreenOne

Post by TheGreenOne » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:10 pm

Alright. I was pretty sure the Salami was a no. Does the pasta have to be whole wheat? And also, for new hermit crabs what would be the best food? Mine are new and currently dont seem interested in any of the food I have. Is it common for new crabs to not eat much? (at least during the day)
Edit: Yoshi: my smaller pp is starting to eat more and show more interest in things and its been about 3 days. :) i saw him eating today:)

Yoshi
Bowser
Peek-a-Boo
Mallow
Tiny
Mini
Simba

CrabbyMom33

Post by CrabbyMom33 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:12 pm

Crabs eat very little, so sometimes it's hard to even tell if they are eating. Most of my crabs come out to eat at night. As far as good foods for new crabs, I would provide protein, minerals, and fruit. The varieties of dried foods you can get at the pet store are good. Fluker's Medley Treat for turtles has 3 types of dried bugs. You can also get bloodworms, mysis shrimp, planton, and krill. Quick protein at home could be scrambed eggs (I cook mine in the microwave for the crabs) or ground beef (unseasoned). For minerals, you can buy suppliments online, or egg shells and/or cuttlebone that you can buy in the bird aisle in the pet store are good. One of the best fruits is coconut if you can get a fresh one at the store. It can be removed from the shell and frozen and will last pretty long. Check the safe food list for other options: http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 25&t=64004
Owner of 4 PPs

TheGreenOne

Post by TheGreenOne » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:36 am

Thanks! Yoshi I have learned is starting to eat at night. However Checkers isn't, i suspect with her being underground so much and not coming.up she might be about to molt. A random question: Do female crabs (or at least female pp's) act shy compared to male pp's?

Yoshi
Bowser
Peek-a-Boo
Mallow
Tiny
Mini
Simba

Alma

Post by Alma » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:17 pm

Hi everyone. I want to give my crabs some sweet potato, but I would like to know any precautions that I should take. I'm planning to just microwave it for a while. What do you guys think? is that bad?

CrabbyMom33

Post by CrabbyMom33 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:04 pm

I give mine sweet potato every time we have it, and I do microwave mine. I just cut mine open and give them some out of it before I fix it for myself. I've also frozen it by putting it in a freezer baggie and pressing it sort of flat. Then you can break off a small piece at a time to feed them.
Owner of 4 PPs

Ps127v1

Re: Do I have to??

Post by Ps127v1 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:14 pm

I give it to mine raw, they seem to really like it that way. Same with carrots, sometimes I give them boiled, but they eat more raw

*Sent from my phone. please excuse any auto correct errors*

Alma

Post by Alma » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:23 pm

oh yeah duh i can just cut out some from the inside. i should wash it before though right?