What's on today's menu & recipe sharing

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.
User avatar

PinchersAndShells
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 1310
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:02 pm
Location: Ohio
Contact:

Re: What's on today's menu & recipe sharing

Post by PinchersAndShells » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:29 am

ciaraalston wrote:
PinchersAndShells wrote:Trying out silversides tonight! I have a feeling they will like them. I also have another bowl with mealworms, crickets, seaweed, elderberry, poppy seeds, and egg shell!
Image

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk
Can't wait to see how they like it! I wanted to try cod with mine.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
I didn't stay awake to watch them eat but they seemed to really like it! Didn't take an after picture because it would have been a bit grotesque.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk
5 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Edd, Momo, Merle, Dottie, & Elvis
3 Captive Bred Babies = Randy, Roxie, Marco
37 + 10 Gallon Crabitats | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

User avatar

Shakiofborg
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:58 pm
Location: Missouri

Re: What's on today's menu & recipe sharing

Post by Shakiofborg » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:58 pm

Egg and egg shell, carrots, blueberries, gogi berries, shrimp, coconut, chia seeds, and mango!

User avatar

Shakiofborg
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:58 pm
Location: Missouri

Re: What's on today's menu & recipe sharing

Post by Shakiofborg » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:08 pm

PinchersAndShells wrote:
ciaraalston wrote:
PinchersAndShells wrote:Trying out silversides tonight! I have a feeling they will like them. I also have another bowl with mealworms, crickets, seaweed, elderberry, poppy seeds, and egg shell!
Image

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk
Can't wait to see how they like it! I wanted to try cod with mine.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
I didn't stay awake to watch them eat but they seemed to really like it! Didn't take an after picture because it would have been a bit grotesque.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk
That's awesome! Mine haven't gone for fish yet....maybe I'll try again after they acclimate to the tank better.

User avatar

lmw142
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:25 am

Re: What's on today's menu & recipe sharing

Post by lmw142 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:59 pm

Tried out a whole dehydrated crawfish from The Healthy Hermit. They loved it! The second picture is from about an hour after I put it in the tank. Within a few days they had basically devoured it, leaving behind a little bit of exo.

In the other dish they had and a fruit mix, vegetable mix, and a cookie, all of which I bought from Wode before she stopped selling. Last, I dropped in a few dried rose petals. ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

User avatar

LeeHasCrabs
Posts: 385
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:06 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: What's on today's menu & recipe sharing

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:40 pm

lmw142 wrote:Tried out a whole dehydrated crawfish from The Healthy Hermit. They loved it! The second picture is from about an hour after I put it in the tank. Within a few days they had basically devoured it, leaving behind a little bit of exo.

In the other dish they had and a fruit mix, vegetable mix, and a cookie, all of which I bought from Wode before she stopped selling. Last, I dropped in a few dried rose petals. ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Oh wow!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar

LeeHasCrabs
Posts: 385
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:06 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: What's on today's menu & recipe sharing

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:11 pm

Some broccoli, red pepper, carrots, and blueberries tonight. Let’s see what my two up think.Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar

ciaraalston
Posts: 1162
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:33 am
Location: Louisiana

Re: What's on today's menu & recipe sharing

Post by ciaraalston » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:47 pm

LeeHasCrabs wrote:Some broccoli, red pepper, carrots, and blueberries tonight. Let’s see what my two up think.Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks delicious!!!!! I can't wait for mine to come up. Pet sand is so boring!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

User avatar

LeeHasCrabs
Posts: 385
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:06 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: What's on today's menu & recipe sharing

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:51 pm

ciaraalston wrote:
LeeHasCrabs wrote:Some broccoli, red pepper, carrots, and blueberries tonight. Let’s see what my two up think.Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks delicious!!!!! I can't wait for mine to come up. Pet sand is so boring!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Yeah, I have 2 up and 3 down. I just want it to be a crabby party in there every night.

User avatar

LeeHasCrabs
Posts: 385
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:06 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: What's on today's menu & recipe sharing

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:44 pm

LeeHasCrabs wrote:Some broccoli, red pepper, carrots, and blueberries tonight. Let’s see what my two up think.Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sadly, over 2 days my two barely touched this colorful buffet. Picky crabs!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar

ciaraalston
Posts: 1162
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:33 am
Location: Louisiana

Re: What's on today's menu & recipe sharing

Post by ciaraalston » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:42 pm

LeeHasCrabs wrote:
LeeHasCrabs wrote:Some broccoli, red pepper, carrots, and blueberries tonight. Let’s see what my two up think.Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sadly, over 2 days my two barely touched this colorful buffet. Picky crabs!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mine never touch fresh foods.
I can make a beautiful buffet of fresh fruits and veggies and nobody even picks at it. It kills me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

User avatar

prettycreb
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon May 15, 2017 2:45 pm

Re: What's on today's menu & recipe sharing

Post by prettycreb » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:40 pm

Post molting snack

Take a piece of unsalted, unbuttered popcorn. Smear organic peanut butter on one side and organic honey on the other. Sprinkle ground up eggshell or cuttlebone on the honey and peanut butter. :banana:

This should give a bit of needed calcium, energy and protein for those crabs who are feeling a bit sluggish after coming up right after a molt.


crabby33
Posts: 563
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:24 pm
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: What's on today's menu & recipe sharing

Post by crabby33 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:22 pm

Image

Apple, rolled oats, freeze dried meal worms, freeze dried crickets, leaf litter, olive oil, raw clover honey and the calcium pit.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


crabby33
Posts: 563
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:24 pm
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: What's on today's menu & recipe sharing

Post by crabby33 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:38 pm

Image

Apple, peas and carrots, rolled oats, freeze dried mealworms, freeze dried crickets, leaf litter, olive oil, honey and calcium.

I prefer to give my crabs a large variety of foods to choose from so that they can seek out what they need. Whether it’s calcium, proteins, carbs, a fat source, leaf litter, a fruit or a vegetable.

When my crabs are pre-molt I’ve noted that they will seek out more tannins, protein and calcium than usual.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar

LeeHasCrabs
Posts: 385
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:06 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: What's on today's menu & recipe sharing

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:42 am

crabby33 wrote:Image

Apple, peas and carrots, rolled oats, freeze dried mealworms, freeze dried crickets, leaf litter, olive oil, honey and calcium.

I prefer to give my crabs a large variety of foods to choose from so that they can seek out what they need. Whether it’s calcium, proteins, carbs, a fat source, leaf litter, a fruit or a vegetable.

When my crabs are pre-molt I’ve noted that they will seek out more tannins, protein and calcium than usual.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I didn’t know you could give them olive oil.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


crabby33
Posts: 563
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:24 pm
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: What's on today's menu & recipe sharing

Post by crabby33 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:59 am

Yep. It’s a fat source and they love it. Every time I put it in there, it’s usually gone in the morning.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Reply