Dry top layer?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
kfinnz

Dry top layer?

Post by kfinnz » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:02 pm

Usually the top of my substrate has never had a......dryer feel to it. I recently replaced my entire substrate (formerly used Hermit Crab Patch substrate) to a different mix (playsand and coconut fiber I mixed myself) and I've noticed the surface of it is much dryer than it ever was in the tank before. Is this uncommon? When I push my finger down in the sand it leaves a hole so the lower layers are wet enough. Is it necessary to have a moist surface as well or is it alright so long as the substrate beneath is suitable for crabs burying?

Angel_crab

Re: Dry top layer?

Post by Angel_crab » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:20 pm

Hi! I noticed that when I used playsand in my old hermit crab tank, no matter how many times a day I sprayed it, it was always dry on the top layer. I soon figured out that it was my heat lamp and light that was drying out the top layer of the sand. Do you have any heat lamps or lights that might be positioned above the sand that could be drying it out? In saying this, if your substrate is moist enough for your crabs to make tunnels in, I personally wouldn't worry about it too much :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
kfinnz

Post by kfinnz » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:51 pm

I do! There's a heat lamp a bit above the top of the tank so it is warm enough (and a heating pad on one side which of course has dry sand near it so I'm not worried about that) they can definitely make tunnels so that's good then! :)

Angel_crab

Post by Angel_crab » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:02 pm

kfinnz wrote:I do! There's a heat lamp a bit above the top of the tank so it is warm enough (and a heating pad on one side which of course has dry sand near it so I'm not worried about that) they can definitely make tunnels so that's good then! :)
Sounds great! If at any point the sand was dry all the way down to the bottom of the tank (as long as you don't have any molting hermies) you can get some dechlorinated water and pour it in the sand and mix it around so that it becomes sand castle consistency again. Hope this helps :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Freckles24

Post by Freckles24 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:46 am

Back when I had a 10 gallon I had a grate type lid that didn’t keep humidity in and I used a heat lamp and my sub was always dry on top. Since I’ve updated I’ve had no issues but I also keep my humidity closer to 90% than 80%. I really wouldn’t recommend a heat lamp because they can dry up your humidity drastically. Do you do daily mistings?

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:50 pm

The substrate will keep drying out, so if it is dry on top you need to keep up with misting it!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram