Moldy Moss

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
MurkyCrabs

Moldy Moss

Post by MurkyCrabs » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:11 am

Hey, so like many others on here I have a moss pit. It’s pillow moss on the very bottom and then sphagnum all the way up, about 3- 4 inches tall (I use one of those cylindrical food containers that a lot of restaurants started using with the pandemic).

The moss isn’t touching any substrate and the top of it is totally fine, but near the pillow moss the sphagnum started growing white fuzzy mold. I did wet all the moss before putting it in the container to activate it, but I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue? I’d rather not have to be changing out my moss every 1-2 weeks if I can avoid it. My temp is 75-77F and humidity is 70-85 (new uth nukes my humidity so I’m back to misting and I really need this moss pit for the sake of humidity, plus right now it seems to be the “food” my new crab is munching on the most). Any tips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Moldy Moss

Post by wodesorel » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:45 am

I've found it needs good airflow to keep from molding. I also let mine dry out and then rewet it so it doesn't say wet at all times. The crabs don't care. Eventually the mold will run it's course, or having springtails will keep it away completely.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
MurkyCrabs

Re: Moldy Moss

Post by MurkyCrabs » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:57 pm

wodesorel wrote:I've found it needs good airflow to keep from molding. I also let mine dry out and then rewet it so it doesn't say wet at all times. The crabs don't care. Eventually the mold will run it's course, or having springtails will keep it away completely.
Thanks, I’ll try out a different type of pit :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk