Failing at heat/humidity

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Jennifer_lynn89

Failing at heat/humidity

Post by Jennifer_lynn89 » Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:12 am

I can't get this heat and humidity right. I have an auto mister that sprays every hour and a UTH from reptile basics that covers the full back. Overnight my temp drops to 67-68 and the humidity drops to 69-70. During the day I can get it to 71 temp and 76 humidity but even then I have to spend my day constantly putting warm towels on top. I can't keep spending my days warming towels lol I really thought an auto mister would keep the humidity, up but its not really.

My crabs are not active at all and never seem to touch their food (I give fresh food and veggies too). I take pictures from the night before and nothing is ever moved. I feel sad for my crabs and I feel I'm giving them a horrible/painful life.

Should I look into different kinds of heat sources? What kinds are safe for crabs?

Virtus

Re: Failing at heat/humidity

Post by Virtus » Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:36 am

A few questions:
1. What size tank and how long has it been setup?

2. What kind of lid? Is it sealed all the way around?

3. Is the UTH on the back of the tank covering any of the substrate?

4. Is the back insulated?

5. What is your substrate and how deep is it?

6. What kind of thermometer/hygrometer are you using, is it calibrated, and where in the tank is it located?

7. What size pools do you have and do they have bubblers/air stones?

Generally you don't want to be misting regularly as it will eventually lead to oversaturation, flooding, and/or bacterial blooms.

Topic author
Jennifer_lynn89

Post by Jennifer_lynn89 » Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:15 pm

1. What size tank and how long has it been setup?
20 gal, 2 weeks

2. What kind of lid? Is it sealed all the way around?
Its a grid but I keep a warm towel over most of it.

3. Is the UTH on the back of the tank covering any of the substrate?
On the back just above the substrate

4. Is the back insulated?
No

5. What is your substrate and how deep is it
fluker's hermit beach and Eco earth. Its about 5-6in

6. What kind of thermometer/hygrometer are you using, is it calibrated, and where in the tank is it located?
I have the basic zoomed hermit crab gage and also a battery powered digital one. Both are located in the side of the tank.

7. What size pools do you have and do they have bubblers/air stone
I have the Fluker Hermit Crab Lagoon pools. No bubbles or air stone

If I didn't mist it, I'm pretty sure the humidity would be zero

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:47 pm

As for improving heat, some UTH can be insulated over top, while others can't be. You can add insulation to the sides and back of your tank (+ / - over the UTH) to help boost the heat a bit. Insulation can be something like Reflectix, or can be something simple like cardboard wrapped in tinfoil.
As for the humidity, it will escape through the towel (as will some heat). You will need to cover at least some, if not most, of your screen lid with something non-pourous. Some people get glass or plexi glass, but many of us use of have used plastic, like Saran Wrap or similar. I have always left a corner open for ventilation, but some will put it over the whole top of the tank. My current tank has a plexi glass lid, and if I need to boost the heat a degree or two, I put a folded up blanket over the top.
When crabs are small, they eat very little. For the first couple of years, I swore I was putting in and taking out the same amount of food. The only reason I knew they must be eating is that they were still alive! Just keep offering a varied diet that includes calcium and protein daily, and they will take what they need.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Jennifer_lynn89

Post by Jennifer_lynn89 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:03 pm

Probably a really stupid question, but how do you know which side of the UTH to tape to the glass? Does it really matter? I think I have the copper strips against the glass, but it was completely random as I taped it on.

Also I have insulated by putting foil around cardboard and taping it to the back of the UTH. Do you need foil all around the carboard or just between the glass? I didn't wrap it around the back.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:57 pm

If the UTH doesn't have a sticky side, you can tape it to the glass either side facing in.
I''m not sure I understand your question about the foil....but you can put it across the entire back and the sides of your tank too.
Did you cover the lid with something like plastic?
How are your heat and humidity doing now?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:36 pm

The more layers to the backing, the more heat will be held/reflected back into the tank. If it's not enough, you can try doubling the cardboard or foil!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram