Got a 11 x 29 Ultratherm :)

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Kermie16

Re: Got a 11 x 29 Ultratherm :)

Post by Kermie16 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:12 am

I have all 3 sides insulated and about 2/3rds of the front glass insulated. In the summer we have only 3 walls insulated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moorespride

Post by Moorespride » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:49 pm

Heat did good over night and is up to 79.7 tonight so I think we are doing good. Got hydrometer in and it was at 79 when I last checked.. both hermits stayed in the hideouts all day...one right where it was last night :( I'll change food and water tomorrow. I don't think they have eaten anything

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:29 am

Moorespride wrote:Heat did good over night and is up to 79.7 tonight so I think we are doing good. Got hydrometer in and it was at 79 when I last checked.. both hermits stayed in the hideouts all day...one right where it was last night :( I'll change food and water tomorrow. I don't think they have eaten anything

It can take a couple days after lower temps for them to resume their more active lifestyles. It's cause their metabolism is tied to temperature, and it has to gear up again after slowing down. They'll likely be climbing the walls again in no time.
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

mool

Post by mool » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:45 am

I don't like Ultratherms at all. I bought one the same size as yours for my tank and had to rip it off and go back to the Zoo Med to get the temps up.

I'm quite underwhelmed with their performance.

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:53 am

mool wrote:I don't like Ultratherms at all. I bought one the same size as yours for my tank and had to rip it off and go back to the Zoo Med to get the temps up.

I guess we all need to keep in mind that what works for one crabber might not work for another. All we can do is throw recommendations around.
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Seasalt, & Elvis
Captive Bred PP = Randy
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:17 am

PinchersAndShells wrote:
mool wrote:I don't like Ultratherms at all. I bought one the same size as yours for my tank and had to rip it off and go back to the Zoo Med to get the temps up.

I guess we all need to keep in mind that what works for one crabber might not work for another. All we can do is throw recommendations around.
Very true! I do use zoomeds for my snakes. They are good at keeping their hides nice and toasty. However the snakes main source of heat comes from light. Totally different circumstances than the hermies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
GabyRaven

Post by GabyRaven » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:01 pm

Personally, I've adored Ultratherm, it's the only thing that's worked for me. Whatever works for you I guess