20g tall with lid

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 20g tall with lid

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:40 pm

I believe you that you can smell it. Glass is porous. My moss smelled when I fist purchased it as well, but the smell does go away.

I was the one that had suction cups on my vine. I purchased my vine SEVERAL years ago, probably when they first came out with them. That is the same brand, and looks the same as mine, however, mine was not labeled "waterproof".
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
kieagcarm

Post by kieagcarm » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:55 pm

My new shells from etsy

Sent from my C5215 using Tapatalk
"Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions."

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:38 pm

Pretty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paradi

Post by Paradi » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:32 pm

Your tank and shells look beautiful! I LOVE what you did with that glass jar!!! That's definitely something I'll do when I upgrade. I've kept aquariums for years and I plan on starting to build my own eventually. That way I can make the tank with the exact dimensions and shape that I want. I'll have to get a giant jar and do a cave similar to that. I love that you can still see the crabs from the side of the tank

Topic author
kieagcarm

Post by kieagcarm » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:37 pm

Paradi wrote:Your tank and shells look beautiful! I LOVE what you did with that glass jar!!! That's definitely something I'll do when I upgrade. I've kept aquariums for years and I plan on starting to build my own eventually. That way I can make the tank with the exact dimensions and shape that I want. I'll have to get a giant jar and do a cave similar to that. I love that you can still see the crabs from the side of the tank

It was really easy, I put it at a slant then dug the sand around the opening out some so that it's like a hill and put that sand on top of it. Then I pushed sand inside so it's like they are underground. They love it, it's right by their food so if I happen upon them while they are eating they can high tail it to the caveImage Dixon has taken up permanent residence inside. He has pushed so much more sand inside you can no longer see inside but that's ok

Paradi

Post by Paradi » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:47 pm

kieagcarm wrote:
Paradi wrote:Your tank and shells look beautiful! I LOVE what you did with that glass jar!!! That's definitely something I'll do when I upgrade. I've kept aquariums for years and I plan on starting to build my own eventually. That way I can make the tank with the exact dimensions and shape that I want. I'll have to get a giant jar and do a cave similar to that. I love that you can still see the crabs from the side of the tank

It was really easy, I put it at a slant then dug the sand around the opening out some so that it's like a hill and put that sand on top of it. Then I pushed sand inside so it's like they are underground. They love it, it's right by their food so if I happen upon them while they are eating they can high tail it to the caveImage Dixon has taken up permanent residence inside. He has pushed so much more sand inside you can no longer see inside but that's ok

lol it's such a good idea! Olve has done the same with the moss in my tank. He moves it where ever he wants and decided to build his own door to the rock cave with it lol so I can't watch him anymore. He also likes digging little ditches and pulling the moss over to make his own little bed to sleep in. Now it seems he's gone under for a molt and pulled some of the moss in with him

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:30 am

kieagcarm wrote:Image Gary is deff a boy

Hello~ I was looking at your pictures again to see your tunnel, and Gary is a female!! I see a gonopore on the fourth set of legs!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:50 am

GotButterflies wrote: Hello~ I was looking at your pictures again to see your tunnel, and Gary is a female!! I see a gonopore on the fourth set of legs!

I noticed that awhile back but I didn't want to be rude plus I wasn't 100% sure considering the fact that I haven't sexed my own crabs yet.
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Merle, Seasalt, & Elvis
2 Captive Bred PPs = Randy & Roxie
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

Paradi

Post by Paradi » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:07 pm

GotButterflies wrote:

Hello~ I was looking at your pictures again to see your tunnel, and Gary is a female!! I see a gonopore on the fourth set of legs!

Okay you see it too??? I thought I saw a little black dot! But I didn't wanna say anything because I have little experienceImage

Topic author
kieagcarm

Post by kieagcarm » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:01 pm

Paradi wrote:
GotButterflies wrote:

Okay you see it too??? I thought I saw a little black dot! But I didn't wanna say anything because I have little experienceImage

Hmm..someone else told he earlier in Oct on a different post that he was a boy...well that means I for sure only have girls...with the exception of Dixon and bellatrix who are fairly new and are never out for me to identify...also means Gary needs a new name...thank you guys, I don't see the dot but I believe you do, my phone has horrible display

Paradi

Post by Paradi » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:03 pm

If it doesn't bother you I can save the photo to my phone, draw a circle around the dot, and repost the photo right here

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:55 pm

That actually would help me! Lol! I for sure can't see anything but that's not saying much with my poor eyesight!

Paradi

Post by Paradi » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:16 pm

This is the best I could do. Let me know if it helps.Image

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:42 pm

It's hard to tell from the pic, but it very well might be a tiny gonopore. Some of them have one and not the other, or start to develop them after molts. Yay crustaceans. :)

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:40 am

Holy cow that's small!!! Thanks Paradi! :)