Dirty Choya Wood

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Paradi

Dirty Choya Wood

Post by Paradi » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:48 pm

I've been doing a ton of renovations and upgrades in my tat recently since both of my babies are down molting (for the first time *fingers crossed* :D). This includes fixing the moss pit which collapsed, getting tons of new bigger shells, cleaning out all the uneaten chia, and soaking the choya wood and moss from the moss pit in salt water to prevent any more mold. I was putting everything back in, all upgraded, and found that the choya wood still seemed a little grimy so I started scrubbing with a toothbrush(specifically designated for my fish and hermits) and all of this nasty black sludge came out from the center of it. As I kept scrubbing the wood got lighter and far more hollow, which will make it easier for them to climb. No wonder it was all molding and stinking so quickly! Once I'm done I'll soak them in treated saltwater for a day again and post updated pics of my tat. Here's some picture of the wood before and after...ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rawrgeous

Re: Dirty Choya Wood

Post by Rawrgeous » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:00 am

Yucky! Lol I need to do that with mine soon.

Sent from my VS880PP using Tapatalk

Crabinski

Re: Dirty Choya Wood

Post by Crabinski » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:32 pm

Yes, that is the one nasty surprise about cholla: it builds up such a hidden mess within that sometimes a good hot soak won't get it clean so I've done the "designated toothbrush" bit, too.
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster