Crabbing Smells: Is there anything I can do?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

odelayheehoo

Re: Crabbing Smells: Is there anything I can do?

Post by odelayheehoo » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:45 am

Liam9653 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:49 am
I had this problem, these moisturizers helped me. Chose on this site https://wisepick.org/best-air-purifier-for-mold, you can choose to your taste :) After installation, 1-2 was enough for the smell to completely disappear.
This post was made almost two years ago, it is unlikely that they would still be dealing with bad smells.
Keeper Since 2016
75G - 10PP

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:26 pm

odelayheehoo wrote: This post was made almost two years ago, it is unlikely that they would still be dealing with bad smells.
It’s true that this is an older post but we do have the keyword search function and people can obtain a lot of useful information from them. Someone else who is having this issue may benefit from the comment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BettaCrew

Post by BettaCrew » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:42 pm

Where do you find glass lids? My 250 gal needs one... my house smells damp and kinda like a garbage can.... I'm embarrassed.

Topic author
C_fiesta

Post by C_fiesta » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:51 pm

Original Poster here! I figured out the problem (shortly after originally posting). It was tossing old food in the trash can that made things smell bad. I've been using my garbage disposal in the kitchen sink to dispose of old food since I posted that. I also make sure to take out fresh or raw foods and protein sooner than dry mixes.

The basil did help and it made a cute little forest in there, Lol. I didn't have a garden last year or this year, so I haven't done that since.

The tank still smells earthy, but if I've take out the old food and changed the water that's all I smell now, which I dare say is what should be normal. If you smell something just rancid still, you might have a dead crab or they drug food off into the substrate (mine like to hid food bits in between the water dishes and the wall).

You should be able to find glass lids at petsmart or order online. I had glass lids that were not *quite* wide enough for my 64 gal, so I went to Home Depot and picked up vinyl floor trim and cut & taped it to the back. Worked great.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hey! I'm Christine! I have 5 hermit crabs. Join me on Instagram @christinescrabcare. Also, checkout my Etsy shop www.etsy.com/shop/christinescrabcare

BettaCrew

Post by BettaCrew » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:03 pm

I'm not sure what I did with my personal food mix, but somehow my tanks smell like spearmint when I pop the lid now. I wish I could tell you why! I do not have any mint in it, and it's a mix of a ton of different items from my garden, purchased items and leftovers from The Addiction that another member here sent me. I do think finding the right food items can help! Some things are worse then others and can be reserved for a treat.

Air flow in general would help with any musty smells, but rigging a filter might be difficult. Carbon does need air passing through it to really do its job. Maybe look at getting a small air filter for next to the tank if you can afford one? I have a room one for my critter room to cut down on allergens, but it does a heck of a job with odors, and my reptiles can put out a heck of a stench when they go!
I have spearmint and basil.... will putting cuttings in the tank be helpful (read that someone gives this to their crabbies). I didn't see where anyone said it helped.... or maybe I didn't pay attention..... that's a possibility.

Any affordable options for air purifiers? 279 for the cheapest is a bit much for me.
Last edited by BettaCrew on Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
C_fiesta

Post by C_fiesta » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:28 pm

Yes the basil did help my tank. Did you see my post?

Try looking on Amazon for air filters. Read the reviews. Be careful of too cheap a filter because they break soon and their replacement filters are very expensive. I got one with a permanent filter and I love it.

Hey! I'm Christine! I have 5 hermit crabs. Join me on Instagram @christinescrabcare. Also, checkout my Etsy shop www.etsy.com/shop/christinescrabcare

BettaCrew

Post by BettaCrew » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:42 pm

I just saw it... so sorry! Thank you so much for the postings... this forum is a lifesaver.

Would this top work? https://www.fishtanksdirect.com/marinel ... 60x18.aspx

I found air purifiers for 50 sq ft and 100 sq ft that I can fit in my budget... but my living room/dining room/kitchen space is appx 550 sq ft. Would this work?

50 sq ft
https://www.lowes.com/pd/hamilton-beach ... GlEALw_wcB

100 sq ft
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Filtrete-Room- ... 1000770804

Could the smell be from not changing the water out frequently enough? I don't see extra food in corners or beside the bowls. When should I change out the moss in the moss pit. The moss is dry but they still like it there....I noticed what looks like mold on the bottom of the shower caddy (moss pit).

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:37 am

All an air purifier is, is a big quiet adjustable fan with a filter in front of it. You can make your own with a box fan and either specialty filter pads or a furnace filter! It's not as pretty and can be a little noisier, but it has the same effect. For deodorizing, make sure the filter has charcoal, or buy a charcoal sheet made for air purifiers. The filters still cost an arm and leg though.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

BettaCrew

Post by BettaCrew » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:46 am

C_fiesta wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:51 pm
Original Poster here! I figured out the problem (shortly after originally posting). It was tossing old food in the trash can that made things smell bad. I've been using my garbage disposal in the kitchen sink to dispose of old food since I posted that. I also make sure to take out fresh or raw foods and protein sooner than dry mixes.

The basil did help and it made a cute little forest in there, Lol. I didn't have a garden last year or this year, so I haven't done that since.

The tank still smells earthy, but if I've take out the old food and changed the water that's all I smell now, which I dare say is what should be normal. If you smell something just rancid still, you might have a dead crab Image or they drug food off into the substrate (mine like to hid food bits in between the water dishes and the wall).

You should be able to find glass lids at petsmart or order online. I had glass lids that were not *quite* wide enough for my 64 gal, so I went to Home Depot and picked up vinyl floor trim and cut & taped it to the back. Worked great.

Did you put pieces of basil/mint in or whole plants (organic)?

Topic author
C_fiesta

Post by C_fiesta » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:47 am

BettaCrew wrote: Did you put pieces of basil/mint in or whole plants (organic)?
Stalks, stems, and leaves & flowers (no roots). Yes, it was organic.

BettaCrew

Post by BettaCrew » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:58 pm

Excellent! I have a basil plant ready to go to work. Thank you again!