Attaching hamster wheel

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Hermiesguardian

Re: Attaching hamster wheel

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:54 pm

Happyhermiehome wrote:
Cherylco55 wrote:
Da_Stos208 wrote:Do you have a picture? Maybe I can help you brainstorm some ideas Image

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk
Thank you. It's nice and big. The inside part spins nicely. So I can put it right on the floor. But how do I attach it?ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

That was a brilliant idea you had there to use this as a wheel! To bad it's so big though. Kaytee brand make a nice small 4.5 inch silent spinner wheel that might be better for u if u have lil guys.
Yeah. I'm trying not to spend so much. Lol. But maybe I can switch it out now and then.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Da_Stos208

Post by Da_Stos208 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:10 am

If it's too big depth wise, you can always shorten it with a jig saw. otherwise yeah maybe store it until ur crabs grow big enough to use it haha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

Happyhermiehome

Post by Happyhermiehome » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:19 pm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk[/quote]Thank you. It's nice and big. The inside part spins nicely. So I can put it right on the floor. But how do I attach it?ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk[/quote]

That was a brilliant idea you had there to use this as a wheel! To bad it's so big though. Kaytee brand make a nice small 4.5 inch silent spinner wheel that might be better for u if u have lil guys.[/quote]

Yeah. I'm trying not to spend so much. Lol. But maybe I can switch it out now and then.[/quote]

I actually got my silent spinner on eBay used for like $3.99
Just search hamster wheel and tick the "used" box under condition. U might find a deal! Also check Letgo and Craigslist lots of people sell their used pet accessories. As long as u clean it a used one is fine. People get Syrian hamsters when they are babies and get the smaller wheels not realizing how big they actually get and have to end up replacing them with huge wheels lol.
It pays to search around! I'm totally the queen of of all things thrifty and always search for a good bargain before buying anything brand new :D
Livin' the Crazy crab life :P

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:23 pm

Happyhermiehome wrote:Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk
Thank you. It's nice and big. The inside part spins nicely. So I can put it right on the floor. But how do I attach it?ImageImage

That was a brilliant idea you had there to use this as a wheel! To bad it's so big though. Kaytee brand make a nice small 4.5 inch silent spinner wheel that might be better for u if u have lil guys.[/quote]

Yeah. I'm trying not to spend so much. Lol. But maybe I can switch it out now and then.[/quote]

Just search hamster wheel and tick the "used" box under condition. U might find a deal! Also check Letgo and Craigslist lots of people sell their used pet accessories. As long as u clean it a used one is fine. People get Syrian hamsters when they are babies and get the smaller wheels not realizing how big they actually get and have to end up replacing them with huge wheels lol.
It pays to search around! I'm totally the queen of of all things thrifty and always search for a good bargain before buying anything brand new :D[/quote]

I'm usually the same as far as finding deals. But I'm impatient getting the crabitat just right. Although I just got some pretty plastic foliage on ebay. And then I realized I had several plastic vines and stuff already decorating my home. Lol. So I took them, cleaned them and I think they already like it.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:12 am

Happyhermiehome wrote:Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

It pays to search around! I'm totally the queen of of all things thrifty and always search for a good bargain before buying anything brand new :D[/quote]I finally ordered a small hamster wheel on ebay. Haven't gotten it yet. I assume my guys are still considered small (picture). The shell on the right was discarded but that guy took another discarded shell which was just about the same size. The others are in shells about the size on the left.Image

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:20 pm

I'm so psyched! The hamster wheel came today. Hopefully I'll be able to set it up Saturday.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:13 pm

So since it doesn't sit on the floor, how do the crabs get up into it?

daws409

Post by daws409 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:56 pm

Cherylco55 wrote:So since it doesn't sit on the floor, how do the crabs get up into it?
You put something in front of it like a piece of cholla or driftwood... Make sure the wheel still spins freely though. And you may have to entice them to use it. Like a treat or something. My babies took a few weeks before showing interest.

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk
Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:18 pm

daws409 wrote:
Cherylco55 wrote:So since it doesn't sit on the floor, how do the crabs get up into it?
You put something in front of it like a piece of cholla or driftwood... Make sure the wheel still spins freely though. And you may have to entice them to use it. Like a treat or something. My babies took a few weeks before showing interest.

Thanks daws!

daws409

Post by daws409 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:26 pm

Cherylco55 wrote:
daws409 wrote:

Thanks daws!
YW!

Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:08 pm

daws409 wrote:
Cherylco55 wrote:
daws409 wrote:You put something in front of it like a piece of cholla or driftwood... Make sure the wheel still spins freely though. And you may have to entice them to use it. Like a treat or something. My babies took a few weeks before showing interest.

Thanks daws!
YW!

Woo hoo! It's done. I put a couple of pieces of popcorn in to entice them. We'll see. Hopefully it won't take them long. I know Stryper will be the one to use it first. ImageImageImageImage

salingerct

Post by salingerct » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:58 am

Hi there, I’m a new member on here. I just love checking in to all of your great ideas. I’ve been adding to my crabitat almost every day! I was just curious about the hamster wheel mesh liner that you all anchor for traction. I’ve got the exact same little wheel as the purple one in one of the pics above. I was just wondering how you all anchored the mesh liner to the running surface? My crabs just love there wheel but I do notice that the bigger crabs legs do spill over to the substrate a lot while walking.
Thanks for all your help!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:48 am

salingerct wrote:Hi there, I’m a new member on here. I just love checking in to all of your great ideas. I’ve been adding to my crabitat almost every day! I was just curious about the hamster wheel mesh liner that you all anchor for traction. I’ve got the exact same little wheel as the purple one in one of the pics above. I was just wondering how you all anchored the mesh liner to the running surface? My crabs just love there wheel but I do notice that the bigger crabs legs do spill over to the substrate a lot while walking.

Basically you drill sets of holes over the wheel, and zip tie on the mesh. Done. ;)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

salingerct

Post by salingerct » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:12 am

aussieJJDude wrote:
salingerct wrote:Hi there, I’m a new member on here. I just love checking in to all of your great ideas. I’ve been adding to my crabitat almost every day! I was just curious about the hamster wheel mesh liner that you all anchor for traction. I’ve got the exact same little wheel as the purple one in one of the pics above. I was just wondering how you all anchored the mesh liner to the running surface? My crabs just love there wheel but I do notice that the bigger crabs legs do spill over to the substrate a lot while walking.

Basically you drill sets of holes over the wheel, and zip tie on the mesh. Done. ;)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
oh boy, a drill! Lol... thanks for the help ;)

hayhay528

Post by hayhay528 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:54 pm

nice job hanging! ive beens struggling to find a completely non metal wheel for my crabs because i had the silent spinner(the one you have) and kept it on the sub and it rusted! so definitely keep it off the sub if you can! maybe i will try to drill like you did for it. my crabs used it 24/7 and havent felt the same about the all plastic, dish like, one i am using now