What plants are safe for my tank?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
TheCrabLord

What plants are safe for my tank?

Post by TheCrabLord » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:00 pm

Hey, i have a 40 gallon breeder in my room with 8 crabs at the moment. I was wondering if I could put some preferably big and lush plants in my tank. I don't mind if my crabs destroy them. I was thinking something like basil. Thoughts?

Happyhermiehome

Re: What plants are safe for my tank?

Post by Happyhermiehome » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:35 pm

Idk about basil but some crabbers like to use air plants in their tanks. The crabs can eat them and they do well in the humid conditions...or so I hear. Also u can plant chia seeds right in your sub for crabbies to munch :)
Livin' the Crazy crab life :P

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:01 am

Not sure either, but I would love to have some plants in my tank.
My LFS sells these partially, or non aquatic plants that you can use in terrariums, might have to check these out!
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:34 am

Hiya - if you type 'plants' into the search bar you can see the many plant threads we've had recently. :)

Off the top of my head, pothos is a popular suggestion.

Just remember that plants need to be planted in containers in the tat, and that fertilizers used by your average florist's are thought be be not great for crabs, so you want to transplant the plants to home-made soil & give 'em aboot three months before adding to your crab cage.

Ask the pet shop how their plants are grown to find out if they're crab safe.
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:43 am

LadyJinglyJones wrote:Hiya - if you type 'plants' into the search bar you can see the many plant threads we've had recently. :)

Off the top of my head, pothos is a popular suggestion.

Just remember that plants need to be planted in containers in the tat, and that fertilizers used by your average florist's are thought be be not great for crabs, so you want to transplant the plants to home-made soil & give 'em aboot three months before adding to your crab cage.

Ask the pet shop how their plants are grown to find out if they're crab safe.
Why do they need to be in a container? Can't a rooted stem just be stuck into the substrate?
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Richard

Post by Richard » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:20 am

Why not just use plastic plants ? Having plants grow in the substrate may cause a variety of problems. Also the crabs might snack on the plants and kill them. They wont eat plastic plants. I guess if you really want to provide them with living plants you could look up information about the botany from where they originate. Still there is not a lot of information about what plants the crabs will or will not take

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:21 am

You cant be watering the sub - you may end up with flooding. Things like Chia are okay, but bigger plants need more water than just 'sand castle consistency ' sub will provide. Plus, some plants roots may take up a lot of moulting space that the crabs need.
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:44 pm

Richard wrote:Why not just use plastic plants ? Having plants grow in the substrate may cause a variety of problems. Also the crabs might snack on the plants and kill them. They wont eat plastic plants. I guess if you really want to provide them with living plants you could look up information about the botany from where they originate. Still there is not a lot of information about what plants the crabs will or will not take
I understand the reasons to use plastic plants and I do use them but I feel bad that they're looking for real plants to climb, eat and hide among but they end up with plastic. I guess everything about their life in captivity is sad.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi