Climbing wall question

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.
User avatar

Topic author
ciaraalston
Posts: 1165
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:33 am
Location: Louisiana

Climbing wall question

Post by ciaraalston » Thu May 31, 2018 4:31 am

So, I added more substrate and a new hide (mason jar buried into substrate) and I'll post pics tomorrow when the silicone has fully dried and I can add the bridge and take pics but I have a question.
So I've had this climbing wall up for a couple months now and they've barely used it from what I've seen. But tonight since I put them back in after additions, Sebastian won't leave the top corner. Hes basically sitting on the top of the wall in the corner. I've moved him twice and every time he just climbs back up there and sits. Should I tskenthe wall down? Here's a pic of him climbing over to the corner to show y'all where hes going.

http://imgur.com/gallery/hesR0iT
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

User avatar

Topic author
ciaraalston
Posts: 1165
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:33 am
Location: Louisiana

Re: Climbing wall question

Post by ciaraalston » Thu May 31, 2018 4:33 am

Also, I've got my UTH plugged into a thermostat and it's got a probe that normally would go under the substrate if it was a snake (we have a ball python and that's where hers goes) but I've got it hanging at the top to measure the temp of the air. Should I have it under the substrate or above? Boyfriend swears it goes under but everyone else's temp and humidity gauges I've seen are above.
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

User avatar

piratetoothgir
Posts: 1357
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:08 am
Location: Texas

Climbing wall question

Post by piratetoothgir » Thu May 31, 2018 5:40 am

There’s really no need if the crab is using it, mine always used to sit on top of it. I removed mine because it kept falling forward.

I would move him either, it’ll just keep confusing him on where he’s going and he will continue making the trip up there if he feels like it.

You should have the thermostat on the substrate, then you can accurately tell what the temperature is from where the crabs are at. I wouldn’t put it underneath.
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

User avatar

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 6479
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:56 pm
Location: Florida
Contact:

Re: Climbing wall question

Post by GotButterflies » Thu May 31, 2018 6:40 am

Hi!

First of all, I wanted to mention that the silicone should be allowed to air for a few days. I know you may think that it is dry, but the hermit crabs have modified gills, and the fumes (although you may not smell them) are toxic to the hermit crabs. Please wait a few days before placing things like that into the tank.

Secondly, I see no reason to take the wall down. Perhaps the hermit crab was using the wall at night while you were sleeping. :) He clearly enjoys it now, so if it were me, I personally would leave it.

As far as the probe, you want to leave it exposed to the air. Do not bury it. You would want it close to the substrate which is where the hermits are. :) This does however leave them a possible climbing toy :)

I hope that answers your questions! Happy crabbing, can't wait to see pics! :crabbigsmile:
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

User avatar

Topic author
ciaraalston
Posts: 1165
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:33 am
Location: Louisiana

Re: Climbing wall question

Post by ciaraalston » Thu May 31, 2018 6:43 am

Oh! Didn't realize it needed days, I thought the regular 24 hours was good.. thank you!! Now that you mention that, I'm glad I got lazy and didn't add my water bowls with the glued rocks for a couple weeks, I almost added them the next day but i got lazy. Haha! I used aquarium safe silicon in them to make a rock wall on the sides.
I will leave the wall. I was worried but I guess too worried. Lol. Thanks yall!!
Can't wait to show pics! Lots more substrate and it's a popsicle stick bridge but I'm so proud of it. Hahaha
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

User avatar

piratetoothgir
Posts: 1357
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:08 am
Location: Texas

Re: Climbing wall question

Post by piratetoothgir » Thu May 31, 2018 6:45 am

ciaraalston wrote:Oh! Didn't realize it needed days, I thought the regular 24 hours was good.. thank you!! Now that you mention that, I'm glad I got lazy and didn't add my water bowls with the glued rocks for a couple weeks, I almost added them the next day but i got lazy. Haha! I used aquarium safe silicon in them to make a rock wall on the sides.
I will leave the wall. I was worried but I guess too worried. Lol. Thanks yall!!
Can't wait to show pics! Lots more substrate and it's a popsicle stick bridge but I'm so proud of it. Hahaha
Silicone cures after 24 hours, but it doesn’t stop leeching fumes until at least a week after.
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

User avatar

Topic author
ciaraalston
Posts: 1165
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:33 am
Location: Louisiana

Re: Climbing wall question

Post by ciaraalston » Thu May 31, 2018 6:49 am

StellaCrab wrote:
ciaraalston wrote:Oh! Didn't realize it needed days, I thought the regular 24 hours was good.. thank you!! Now that you mention that, I'm glad I got lazy and didn't add my water bowls with the glued rocks for a couple weeks, I almost added them the next day but i got lazy. Haha! I used aquarium safe silicon in them to make a rock wall on the sides.
I will leave the wall. I was worried but I guess too worried. Lol. Thanks yall!!
Can't wait to show pics! Lots more substrate and it's a popsicle stick bridge but I'm so proud of it. Hahaha
Silicone cures after 24 hours, but it doesn’t stop leeching fumes until at least a week after.
I added some across the bottom just to seal the sticks together a little better. I'll definitely wait them :D
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

User avatar

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support
Posts: 9103
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:49 am
Location: Leetonia, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Climbing wall question

Post by wodesorel » Thu May 31, 2018 7:21 pm

It depends on the silicon, some will smell for weeks, some are good after a day. Give it a sniff, and it'll be fine once the odor is gone.

User avatar

curlysister
Posts: 1322
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:54 pm
Location: Manitoba, Canada

Re: Climbing wall question

Post by curlysister » Thu May 31, 2018 9:56 pm

GotButterflies and Wodesorel...you two are giving conflicting advice about the fumes from the silicone glue. Not trying to start a fight, just wanting to clarify. I have my newly glued climbing/ hut structure outdoors airing out as we speak.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

User avatar

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support
Posts: 9103
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:49 am
Location: Leetonia, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Climbing wall question

Post by wodesorel » Thu May 31, 2018 10:27 pm

My display case took a few weeks to air out with crabs in it, no harm done but it made me nervous. I would not do it again! But I have fixed decor with another brand of silicone, and it was smell-free the next day and went right in my tank with no worries.

When in doubt, waiting is never the wrong choice. Aquarium silicone is acetic acid based so it's non toxic, like vinegar, which is why it smells so horrid.

User avatar

Topic author
ciaraalston
Posts: 1165
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:33 am
Location: Louisiana

Re: Climbing wall question

Post by ciaraalston » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:12 am

Added the second level bridge and some color. Not sure how long any of it will last, they're shredding the climb wall!! Anyway here's some pics. Any advice is welcome!!!

https://imgur.com/gallery/9bBhggE
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

User avatar

Hermiesguardian
Posts: 2522
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:41 pm

Re: Climbing wall question

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:23 am

ciaraalston wrote:Added the second level bridge and some color. Not sure how long any of it will last, they're shredding the climb wall!! Anyway here's some pics. Any advice is welcome!!!

https://imgur.com/gallery/9bBhggE
Very nice!
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

User avatar

Topic author
ciaraalston
Posts: 1165
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:33 am
Location: Louisiana

Re: Climbing wall question

Post by ciaraalston » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:08 am

So, i've since added the popsicle bridge. BOTH of my crabs are under it, attached to the climbing wall and won't come down. Is this normal behaviour? They've barely bothered with the wall before, but since i added more substrate they are clinging to it for dear life. I don't have a picture on my phone but i'll take one when i get off work. I'm sorry for all these questions i'm just a worried crab momma.
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

User avatar

Hermiesguardian
Posts: 2522
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:41 pm

Re: Climbing wall question

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:58 am

ciaraalston wrote:So, i've since added the popsicle bridge. BOTH of my crabs are under it, attached to the climbing wall and won't come down. Is this normal behaviour? They've barely bothered with the wall before, but since i added more substrate they are clinging to it for dear life. I don't have a picture on my phone but i'll take one when i get off work. I'm sorry for all these questions i'm just a worried crab momma.
Sometimes they just hang out in the weirdest spots and positions. For a long time. If they didn't like it they wouldn't be doing it. Crabs are quite silly. :lol:
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

User avatar

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 6479
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:56 pm
Location: Florida
Contact:

Re: Climbing wall question

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:59 am

Looks great!

Whenever questioning a behavior - remember this: crabs are weird! :) LOL! :banana:
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Post Reply