Moving Crabs

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
piratetoothgir

Moving Crabs

Post by piratetoothgir » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:12 pm

Do you think moving some of my crabs to my large tote is a good idea?
I have a 55 gallon, and it has nine crabs, two being ecuadorian.
Should I move five PP's to the tote, leaving the main tank with two PP's, and the two E's?

I will either move four or five, leaving the main tank with two to three PP's along with the E's.
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

AwesomeHermit

Re: Moving Crabs

Post by AwesomeHermit » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:46 pm

How much gallons is the tote?
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

Topic author
piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:55 pm

AwesomeHermit wrote:How much gallons is the tote?
26 :)
Crabber Since 2016

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:00 pm

I personally don't think you need to move any if you aren't having issues and they aren't all large crabs.

I had 16 PP's in a 55 (various sized crabs from tiny to large) for 3 years with no issues. I've never lost a crab due to aggression or anything other than what could be attributed to PPS. I know have around 20-23 in a 150 and have had no deaths in over a year for any reason.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:57 pm

soilentgringa wrote:I personally don't think you need to move any if you aren't having issues and they aren't all large crabs.

I had 16 PP's in a 55 (various sized crabs from tiny to large) for 3 years with no issues. I've never lost a crab due to aggression or anything other than what could be attributed to PPS. I know have around 20-23 in a 150 and have had no deaths in over a year for any reason.

Really? Wow. I have 7, medium to large, in a 90 gallon and it just doesn't seem large enough. I would love to get more crabs. Lol.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:51 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:
soilentgringa wrote:I personally don't think you need to move any if you aren't having issues and they aren't all large crabs.

Really? Wow. I have 7, medium to large, in a 90 gallon and it just doesn't seem large enough. I would love to get more crabs. Lol.
I was lucky enough to find HCA the day the crabs came to me. My crabs have had abundant substrate, good conditions and good food the entire time I've had them and I've always made sure they had plenty of hiding and climbing spaces.

I feel that part of why my colony has gotten along pretty well is because they've had good conditions.

I have had adoptions die shortly after coming to live with me but they were in BAD BAD BAD setups beforehand.

If I ever felt like things weren't going well with mine I'd make adjustments.

Also keep in mind that other groups tell you to have 10-15 gallons per crab from the jump, and some of mine may never make it to jumbo size. In all probability they won't.

So having different sizes also makes a difference too.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:38 pm

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk[/quote]

Really? Wow. I have 7, medium to large, in a 90 gallon and it just doesn't seem large enough. I would love to get more crabs. Lol.[/quote]I was lucky enough to find HCA the day the crabs came to me. My crabs have had abundant substrate, good conditions and good food the entire time I've had them and I've always made sure they had plenty of hiding and climbing spaces.

I feel that part of why my colony has gotten along pretty well is because they've had good conditions.

I have had adoptions die shortly after coming to live with me but they were in BAD BAD BAD setups beforehand.

If I ever felt like things weren't going well with mine I'd make adjustments.

Also keep in mind that other groups tell you to have 10-15 gallons per crab from the jump, and some of mine may never make it to jumbo size. In all probability they won't.

So having different sizes also makes a difference too.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk[/quote]

I know I can "technically" have more but it just seems with all the holes they make sometimes it's hard to find a spot for the food dish.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:09 pm

To be honest, Given Stella’s history I do think that you should be proactive about the situation. It’s better to be safe than sorry. You don’t want to overcrowd the tote, and the E’s were the last ones that you added to the tank, so maybe move them to the tote? That’s what I think. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:51 pm

GotButterflies wrote:To be honest, Given Stella’s history I do think that you should be proactive about the situation. It’s better to be safe than sorry. You don’t want to overcrowd the tote, and the E’s were the last ones that you added to the tank, so maybe move them to the tote? That’s what I think. Good luck!

That sounds like a good plan, will move them once one finishes a molt.
The tote is 31 gallons, 32.25 x 18 x 12.5
I am only concerned about having deep substrate, leading to little or no climbing room.

Can I keep the substrate at 9-10 inches for now?
Crabber Since 2016

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:01 pm

piratetoothgir wrote:
GotButterflies wrote:To be honest, Given Stella’s history I do think that you should be proactive about the situation. It’s better to be safe than sorry. You don’t want to overcrowd the tote, and the E’s were the last ones that you added to the tank, so maybe move them to the tote? That’s what I think. Good luck!

I am only concerned about having deep substrate, leading to little or no climbing room.

Oh yikes- that is a small tote then. I wouldn’t move anyone over to it. 2 inches of height isn’t enough for any crab.

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:02 pm

GotButterflies wrote:
piratetoothgir wrote:

Oh yikes- that is a small tote then. I wouldn’t move anyone over to it. 2 inches of height isn’t enough for any crab.

I have 20 inch totes, would that be better?

Sent from my IPA1489 using Tapatalk
Crabber Since 2016

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:51 am

Not sure if it's an option, but Wal-Mart has 50 gallon clear totes for $23.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot