Substrate constantly dry?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Neemie

Post by Neemie » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:00 pm

No matter what I do the substrate becomes dry! I have eco Earth and I spray the tank/substrate multiple times a day. It gets so dry sometimes that I have to take everything out and spray the substrate thoroughly, but to no avail, as it just becomes dry again after a day or so.

They mostly hang by the heating pad, and that's the one place where the substrate gets the most dry!

It's causing the humidity in the tank to plummet. I have Saran wrap over the lid, and it helps a bit. I'm worried!

Any tips on how to keep it from drying out???

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

ha_haley

Post by ha_haley » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:22 pm

Try a mixture of play sand and eco earth at a 5:1 ratio instead of just eco earth. You can pick up a few bags of play sand at any hardware store!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Substrate constantly dry?

Post by curlysister » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:18 pm

I agree with the suggestion to add playsand. The 5:1 ratio is the most common mixture used by crabbers.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Neemie

Post by Neemie » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:22 pm

I added play sand when I first got the tank. Guess I have to put in more though. Thanks!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:59 pm

Are you wetting it so that if you squeeze it, it clumps together? How well covered is yoyr lid with saran wrap? I've had tanks dry out quickly, but after only a day it sounds like not enough moisture is being added to the substrate and you have a good humidity leak somewhere! Do you know what the hunidity of your house is?
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Neemie

Post by Neemie » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:02 pm

wodesorel wrote:Are you wetting it so that if you squeeze it, it clumps together? How well covered is yoyr lid with saran wrap? I've had tanks dry out quickly, but after only a day it sounds like not enough moisture is being added to the substrate and you have a good humidity leak somewhere! Do you know what the hunidity of your house is?
I'm wetting it just enough that if I stick a pencil into the substrate, it won't spill back into the hole. I could make the saran wrap tighter. I don't know the humidity of my house.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:42 pm

What is the humidity in the tank?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:26 pm

The pencil test doesn't work all that great. I really do like the squeeze test best as it'll only clump when wet enough, and if it drips you know you've gone too far.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Neemie

Post by Neemie » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:26 am

I try to keep my humidity at around 80. I've only heard of the pencil test, so I'll be sure to try the squeeze test as well!

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:57 pm

I mixed up a small batch of EE for an emergency tote the other day. I usually mix sand and EE together for our tanks but since it was an emergency I just went with a little EE. I found it a but difficult to mix well on it's own with water. The top looks and feels good but when you move it around the rest is dry.

How large of a tank do you have?
I prefer mixing substrate in small batches so its easier mixing everything together and if one batch is too wet you can make the next a bit dryer to compensate. I'll add about 2.5 quarts of sand, 1/2 quart of EE and mix in about 1/4 gallon of water until its mixed well. Repeat. Every batch will make just over 2 gallons of substrate. I mix it in a 3 gallon bucket then dump that into a 5 gallon bucket. Once I get a full 5 gallon bucket I dump it in the tank.

I would recommend getting a glass aquarium top. They are a lot better at holding heat, humidity, and crabs in the tank. They are usually hinged so you can easily change out food, water and tidy up the tank without having to play with the plastic wrap every time.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities