Tank

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
RiNiKy506

Tank

Post by RiNiKy506 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:58 am

Does anyone know what size tank this is? I thought it was 50 gal bc I’ve never really looked at it, but I don’t think it is. It’s been sitting outback here outside for probably a year so I will need a new hood. Trying to get it cleaned up for our guys. ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Tank

Post by wodesorel » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:03 am

What are the measurements? If that's a standard box fan in the photo it's probably a 29 gallon.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
RiNiKy506

Tank

Post by RiNiKy506 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:38 am

It is 30” long, a little over 18 1/2” tall, and 12 1/4” wide. Measurements are a little off. Thank you for such quick reply.

Edit: tank hood opening measures 29 1/4” x 11 1/2” and that’s right to the inside edges of the black plastic frame.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:19 am

Yep! That's a 29. They're a good shape for hermits, space for both substrate and climbing!

Topic author
RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:38 am

Thank you for reply. Well that’s what size tank I wanted, and I already have it. I don’t know why I thought it was 50 gal. I had only peeked at it when it was dropped on our back porch, I knew I wanted it but wasn’t sure for what. Kind of wish I would have cleaned it and put it in our garage so I didn’t ruin the hood. We don’t go back there much and I just forgot about it. The plastic part that is supposed to be the front part that opens is all warped from sitting in the sun and rain. Not that I would want to plug that thing in from getting wet so often anyway.

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:20 pm

wodesorel wrote:What are the measurements? If that's a standard box fan in the photo it's probably a 29 gallon.
Without measurements you were spot on! Impressive!

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:12 pm

ciaraalston wrote:
wodesorel wrote:What are the measurements? If that's a standard box fan in the photo it's probably a 29 gallon.
Without measurements you were spot on! Impressive!

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
Thanks! I have like 50 some tanks right now, almost every one bought used. I got really good at IDing a tank from a photo since I got burned a few times at first. Have to be able to figure our fast if it's a deal without letting the person know what they actually have.

Topic author
RiNiKy506

Tank

Post by RiNiKy506 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:04 pm

I am soooo excited! I had today off so I finally got my 29 gal cleaned and ready for crab-habitants!!! Went to local pet store and they had the glass canopy top that I’ve been looking online for, making such a big deal out of. I was just so worried that I would get one and it wouldn’t fit and I would have to keep sending it back and trying again. The measurements in the descriptions didn’t fit what I had measured my tank for. Plus what kind of lighting I wanted to get... Anyway, it was just a relief to find one locally incase it didn’t fit, but it did! And it was only $25.
The tank was awful to clean up, I used an old dish washing sponge and rinsed (or thought) all the soap out, it still had some once I started scrubbing. It had a lot of white haze spots, I think from old aquarium water, hard water type looking stains. I tried vinegar then scraped most of it with a razor blade. I rinsed it very well and then did a salt water rinse at the end just to be safe. Image
So now the fun part begins!!! Getting cool stuff to put in there, their pools, new dishes, climbing stuff, I’m super excited! I ordered some food from Hermie’s Kitchen. I got the purple pincher sampler and the healing food mix. I also wanted to get a few more crabs if it is ok. How many are ok to have in 29 gal? I feel so bad for the crabs in the store, they’re in this wood chip stuff that’s all dry and I saw a leg in there. They have no shells to change into, a lot of them are in way too big of shells. They were so far tucked into the shells you couldn’t even tell there was a crab in there. I want to get a small crab but the pet store lady said my bigger crab might bully it. She said they would pull the smaller ones out of their shells and eat them. I wanted to ask you all about that. I thought the different size crabs left each other alone bc there’s no shell competition? I wish I could take them all home and save them all. Here’s my clean and ready to go tank...
Except for this plastic piece that goes on the back of the glass canopy. I can’t get it on there!

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:20 pm

The recommendation is 1 crab per 5 gal. Unles they are a jumbo or an E. And you are right, usually crabs of different sizes get along better. As long as conditions (food, substrate depth...) is good. I've seen my smaller crabs stare down larger crabs until the larger one slinks (my interpertation) away. If the plastic piece doesn't go on you can cut it to fit and tape it to the glass.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:29 pm

Nice find!!

How permanent is this tank going to be? 29s seem to work the best with 3 crabs longterm. If it's a grow out tank and you can move them as they get larger you can easily double that!

Topic author
RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:06 pm

wodesorel wrote:Nice find!!

How permanent is this tank going to be? 29s seem to work the best with 3 crabs longterm. If it's a grow out tank and you can move them as they get larger you can easily double that!
We are looking for a house now and hope to be moving within the next year and when we do I’m hoping to get an even bigger tank so I’d like to think it’s a grow out tank. We have 4 crabs now and I wanted to get at least one of the small ones I saw at the pet store. They are so cute! So I probably shouldn’t get any more then? I’d like to keep this one I’m making now and maybe have even more tanks to adopt some NY area crabs once I get the hang of things. I want to make sure I get some more knowledge and experience before I go overboard. :)

Topic author
RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:25 pm

Hey everyone, sorry I have been gone. I’ve had to work all weekend, just a crazy weekend and beginning of the week. I had a few questions before I went ahead with a purchase. For an under tank heater, I want to buy the one from reptile basics. I think I need the 11” x 23” one for my 29 gal. Is this correct? It’s supposed to cover the whole back of the tank. Is that also right? What do you use to attach it to the tank? Also would a cheaper thermostat from Amazon be ok to use? I really didn’t want to buy an expensive one right now but wasn’t sure what to do. If I get a cheaper one that isn’t reliable, will I end up buying a better one anyway? Does anyone recommend a certain thermostat? It’s been chilly during the day and even more chilly at night, so I really need a UTH before I can officially move them in. The small UTH I have barely heats my little tank so I know it wouldn’t help at all in my 29. Thank you all for all your help and info. <3

♡Rod ♡Salty ♡Bubbles(Bob)♡Squirt ♡Crabina(Peanut)♡
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers »-♡->

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:20 pm

I purchased 3 of these in early summer when it was really hot. one of our tanks hit like 92 and the others the upper 80's. After setting the high temperature on this they maintained the temperature well. I think it was a good deal for $19.

https://www.amazon.com/Century-Thermost ... +regulator

The 11 X 23 Ultratherm is the closest fit for the back of the tank. I believe it is better to be able to overheat a tank and control the temperature with a regulator rather than find out after a real cold spell you can only maintain a 70 degree tank with what you have. An additional heater may be needed especially with living in NY. An 11 x 11 on one side of the tank would probably be the closest fit. Plug the thermostat into the large heater and it should hold to where you set it. Just be sure you do not mount the temperature probe on the glass that has a heater. It should be at substrate somewhere between the hottest and coolest areas of the tank. That way the crabs will have a warm area, next to the heaters, and a cooler area away from them.

Pretty much everyone on here buys the Acurite Temperature and Humidity gauges. I tried the small Zoo Meds ones several times and haven't had much luck with the humidity portion. If they accidentally get misted they tend to always read 99% humidity.

https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-Thermome ... ity+sensor

I secure my heaters with the go to, duct tape. I have mine mounted as as high as possible and all the way to one side of the tank. I purchased a thin sheet of Poly Pro foam insulation board (about $10 for a 4 X 8 sheet) and covered the ultratherm and entire back of the tank with it. That helped direct a lot of heat back into the tank. Once again I used duct tape to hold that too.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:22 pm

Thank you so much! Ordering now.

♡ Rod ♡ Salty ♡ Bob ♡ Squirt ♡ Crabina ♡
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers »-♡->